Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New member looking to get a polaris.

Hello there, i've been lurking around the forums for a bit. My boss at work just picked up a non-running slt700 and that gave me the itch to get a ski, I grew up riding a 97 sl1050 on Cass Lake, MI I'll never forget all the fun i had! It sucks polaris exited the sport like they did as I don't think i'd go with another brand, I like to go fast and jump waves but, not at the same time lol.

I'd love to get a 1050 or 1200 2 seater, currently looking at a 96 sl900 because i found a decent deal on one and it's only 10hp less than a 1050, pics show the engine to be spotless although i belive it's a reman as it has an sbt sticker on both sides of the hull and the 900 looks to be missing from the air cleaner/spark arrestor cover. It's also missing the port side rub rail, seat has been recovered, was able to identify that when i was looking on the hydroturf site and seen the seat cover on their site looks identical to the seat on the ski.

I have not inspected the ski in person yet, going down there 2morrow, owner says he has no problems letting me run a compression test on it and checking it out before making an offer, I did find it a bit odd that he didn't know what size ball the trailer took when i asked. He says it does run, has new plugs, hoses, bilge pump.

So best case scenario would be it has a reman engine with low hours and good wash patterns...
    Worst case has reman or stock engine that needs work or replacement. I know either way i'm gunna tear into the ski to inspect/replace fuel lines and driveline items bearings etc... before going for my 1st ride, not sayin i won't leak test it on the trailer at the ramp but, i don't wanna break down and have to get a tow.

I figure as long as it all checks out when i check it out 2morrow i'll try to make a deal and bring it home with me, It has a clear title for ski and bill of sale for trailer so i'll have to go get that weighed. I'm all set to go 2morrow, got my comp tester, tool set, 1 7/8 and 2 inch balls, I don't have a borescope so hoping i can inspect combustion chambers and maybe get a glimpse of piston wash with my flashlight.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? What is it worth if it checks out ok?

Thanks in advance,

Mig

Banned User
    +1
    To see if its a SBT motor, open the hood, pull the storage bucket and look at the front cylinder on the engine. SBT puts a tag with their serial number on the cylinder. The 900 is very slightly slower than the 1050, but not by much. I have a 96 SL 900 that may be available for sale as well if you are interested.

Look here to see my SL 900.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149104

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    To see if its a SBT motor, open the hood, pull the storage bucket and look at the front cylinder on the engine. SBT puts a tag with their serial number on the cylinder. The 900 is very slightly slower than the 1050, but not by much. I have a 96 SL 900 that may be available for sale as well if you are interested.

Look here to see my SL 900.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149104
    I read that project thread last night, lol. That sure turned out real nice, I'd definitly be interested in yours if I cannot make a deal on the one 2morrow or if it turns out to be a turd in disguise. I know you take care of yours properly so the piece of mind buying yours would be nice knowing it has been gone thru and done right.

Thanks for the tip on the sbt serial tag, i'll check that 2morrow.

Banned User
    +1
    Only reason i know about the SBT tag is that i was unaware a ski i bought had a SBT motor until i accidentally discovered the SBT tag

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miglater View Post
    I read that project thread last night, lol. That sure turned out real nice, I'd definitly be interested in yours if I cannot make a deal on the one 2morrow or if it turns out to be a turd in disguise. I know you take care of yours properly so the piece of mind buying yours would be nice knowing it has been gone thru and done right.

Thanks for the tip on the sbt serial tag, i'll check that 2morrow.
    Bryan has some of the nicest skis you could ask for. I have seen that 900 in person, and it is near perfect,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Bryan has some of the nicest skis you could ask for. I have seen that 900 in person, and it is near perfect,
    Too bad it's over 10 hour drive round trip to Milwaukee from where i am, I'm quite certain i'd rather have Bryan's. Still think it'll be worth going to atleast check out this other ski, Might get it for cheap, can always walk away if a deal can't be made. We'll see what happens.

Banned User
    +1
    I have a sale pending on the SL 900, but I may be able to sell the guy one of my others if you want my SL 900.

I have 3 of them....
    and and sick and tired of trying to get any of them to work
    I am driving to chicago next month....
    would drag it with me, to get rid of it
    2 - 02 virage 1 800
    1 - 02 virage txi 1200

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I have a sale pending on the SL 900, but I may be able to sell the guy one of my others if you want my SL 900.
    So tempting.... I've already confirmed a time with the guy 2morrow on the other ski, I'll let u know 2morrow how it went after i get back.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miglater View Post
    So tempting.... I've already confirmed a time with the guy 2morrow on the other ski, I'll let u know 2morrow how it went after i get back.

Sounds good.....let me know. Im sure I could make it work out though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information