Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Important info please read

Everyone, while this forum is the absolute best place to obtain good information it's also become a place for you to obtain TERRIBLE information.
    I have to wonder if sometimes some of this misinformation is spread purposely at times......

It's my job here to ensure you members of this forum receive good and correct information and if I have to step in and hurt some feelings from time to time then I will do it

Now, with that said I need to clear up a myth regarding the Kawasaki 300X in relation to speed control modules.
    The "myth" on this forum that the ECU actually uses input from the speedometer sensor to control ignition timing and or fuel. This is completely FALSE!
    I read this and knew from my own common sense that this would not be the case. An ECU would never use such an inaccurate paddle wheel sensor that can be broken, hung up(stuck) as a viable input to control any engine parameter.

I have spoken with a Kawasaki engineer who is responsible for engine management and tuning. He has assured me I was correct on this.
    His words are, "The ecu sets ignition timing and fuel mapping based on engine rpm, throttle position, air temperature and manifold pressure. Oil temp and exhaust water temperature will send ecu into limp mode if one of the temperatures gets too high. The ecu timing and fuel is mapped for all rpms and is independent of boat speed. The ecu can not use boat speed to set timing or fuel mapping because our method of measuring speed is not precise enough. We basically just use the measured speed to control the governor to try to keep top speed below 66 mph."

I know some of you have had engine problems with using an SCOM. I asked him about this. His opinion, and mine, is that any additional stress to the motor is due to the engine running at a higher RPM which equates to higher HP and the use of poor fuel, including fuel with high ethanol content. It's mandatory that if you are running higher than stock RPM's that you use a minimum of 91+ octane fuel.

I also inquired about an SCOM that advertises that it actually pulls timing. He says this is highly unlikely without hacking into the ECU.

I hope this clarifies things for you guys!

Jerry

Banned User
    +1
    Last edited by FIRE0021; 04-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If that is the case Jerry, why does the washer mod burn the number one piston?

Kawi has a history of doing this on several models, I'm not saying it isn't possible that is true but based on my research it says otherwise.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Jerry it's a neat explanation but you don't remove a rev limiter by doing so and does this mean the ski is now making more then 300 hp ? What about ski's that's are propped At 7750 or less still doing 70+ that still blow up the speed limiter was is there for uscg but from what your saying its there to not over stress the motor. I'm not trying to say your wrong just pointing out a few things. Did the person you talk to have Mori in his name ?
    Sorry I was asked to not mention his name specifically, but if you have a contact with Mori in his name feel free to contact him directly to back up the correct information I am providing to you guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    If that is the case Jerry, why does the washer mod burn the number one piston?

Sean
    Very good question Sean I will inquire and post back.

+1
    Guy's, my PM box is blowing up

Read my post above carefully!

It basically says the speedo paddle wheel has absolutely nothing to do with ignition timing/fuel parameters. This is fact!

The speedo paddle wheel does however function as input for the speed governor. As the ski approaches 66 mph the ECU will use input from the speedo paddle wheel to close off the throttle blade (drive by wire) and decrease the speed of the ski.

I repeat, the speedo paddle wheel has zero function/control over ignition timing or fueling whatsoever and this is the myth I'm trying to dispel with my post.

Banned User
    +1
    Just call Gary Herzog in cali. Hes the main man and If there is anything kawi watercraft he knows all about it.

O bty Gary thanks for flipping me to a yamaha LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    Well geeze back to the drawing board for all the people who were so overly convinced washers blow your ski up huh?! Hahaha i haven't even had a speedo on either of my 300's since day 1 and no issues.

Edit: and by that I mean its just the added stress on the engine and fuel combo doing the damage not some voodoo Ecu timing adjustments

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Well geeze back to the drawing board for all the people who were so overly convinced washers blow your ski up huh?! Hahaha i haven't even had a speedo on either of my 300's since day 1 and no issues.

Yes, this is why I wanted to bring up this info. I like GOOD information. I'm not done yet.... I will be doing some research and get some input from the right people at Kawasaki on why installing washers would burn up #1 cylinder. I'm intrigued by this phenomenon and will get to the bottom of it and will share with you guys

10. +1 by:

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, been saying this all along. Thanks Jerry.

Why #1 has gone on some skis, who knows. Yes, I totally agree, it's more likely fuel quality.

An engine, when running lean, typically just damages one common cylinder first. That's pretty normal. Air flow is not exact to every cylinder.

Cheers, Mal.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information