+1

Fueling issue with XP800

95 XP800 with fully rebuild carbs and perfect pop off pressure. The ski runs like a raped ape and carbs seemed to be dialed in perfect.

However, I have a couple issues.

My primer is taped into the return line on the carbs and I find its hard to get fuel to the primer.

Starting for the first time after a week of no riding it cranks fine but when I give it gas it wants to die so I have to play with the throttle until it clears up and then it runs fantastic.

Sometimes after riding and sitting for as little as 30 minutes the ski will not want to fire. Then I try and primer it again and I can't get any fuel to the primer. Its like the return line is bone dry. I've damn near killed the battery just to get enough fuel through into the return line so I can use the primer and then the ski fires up and runs great.

All of my other primer skis in the past only need to be started once and they are good to go for the entire day or even weekend. This ski seems to need the primer alot.

Any ideas the issue here?

Pressure leak? Bad location for the primer? carb related issue?

+1
    Not sure about the hard start after it's warmed up, but as far as fuel in the return line, I run the line down towards the bottom of the hull and then back up to the tank. It creates a "trap" so to speak and then I install the primer tee in the trap area. It helps a ton.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Not sure about the hard start after it's warmed up, but as far as fuel in the return line, I run the line down towards the bottom of the hull and then back up to the tank. It creates a "trap" so to speak and then I install the primer tee in the trap area. It helps a ton.

Yup, that is how I have mine installed as well.

+1
    I had a hard starting issue with my XP last year. I had to hold the throttle about 1/4 to get it to start even then it was a pain! I changed the diaphrams from sbt to genuine mikuni and it fixed the issue. For whatever reason the sbt diaphrams were holding the needles slightly open flooding the motor.

+1
    I always run the primer into the reserve line on the 800's. never a problem and there always gas in the reserve line.

Also, what are your high/low screws set at?

+1
    Dont recall my exact jetting but the guys at watercraft magic set me up based on my setup and location. I think youre right Joe, I always ran my primer on the reserve line until this ski, I'm going to take it off the return.

I also think my issue is what skewba said, diaphrams (although I used mikuni stuff) are keeping the needles open and flooding the motor. I never checked popoff pressure after i fully assembled the carbs. Only did one when I put the needles/seat in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    I always run the primer into the reserve line on the 800's. never a problem and there always gas in the reserve line.
    +1 If your return line has fuel you wouldn't need to prime it.

Thread Information