Thread: 97' GP Bog

97' GP Bog

First an intro. Fairly new to the site. Been searching the site for all kinds of stuff. Not just problems/remedies.

So here's my problem: 97 Yamaha GP1200 bogging anything after idle. It will idle all day, but as soon as you give throttle, it dies. I changed the stator and voltage regulator due to a previous issue. Then this bogging issue pops up. I Irebuilt the carbs just because it was due for it. Keep in mind this was a problem before I got into the carbs. I replaced all fuel lines, inline filter, checked my jets for junk, set both high and low settings to factory specs. Yesterday I did notice while i shut one of the high needles off, it was still spraying the same amount of fuel as the other two that were set to specs. I have also tried setting the fuel selector to both on and reserve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hulk!

Compression test has also been done.

+1
    anymore backround info on this? how did it run before the stator and voltage regulator were replaced? did you use new or used parts? any other modifications that we need to know about?

Everything was replaced with new parts. It ran fine before the no spark issue. It has a riva cdi. The shop looking at it now says it has a skip in the spark? Could it be another faulty stator?

+1
    it could be a bad stator. Or maybe the Riva CDI is starting to go bad. Did you use good quality oem parts or cheap aftermarket stuff? some of that aftermarket stuff is good, and sometimes its garbage.

I have a back-up stock cdi that i have tried usung and it didnt change anything.

But here is what he is telling me now. He discovered a cut in the stator wires from the flywheel. He said it didnt cut all the way through, but it was showing copper. He is thinking that shorted something out. And the stator is from SBT.

+1
    Sounds like you guys are on the right track. Can the stator wire be fixed or are you gonna replace the stator?

Yeah, it can - and he did fix it. My buddy has a stator im gonna test out and see. It didnt start acting up and doing this, until I replaced the stator - Immediately after - So it has got to be the issue. I will follow up once we figure something out.

Thread Information