Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question No Spark - Sea-Doo XP DI - New Battery and Plugs = No luck

Hey guys,

I just de-winterized my Sea-Doo today and I haven't had any luck firing it up. I put brand new spark plugs and a brand new battery in it today. I pulled out the spark plug and checked to see if I was getting any spark and I wasn't. I checked to see if I was getting a spark by having the spark plug in the boot and grounding it to the block and other bolts as grounds, but no luck. The battery I filled up I gave it a charge as recommended before connecting the wires. Before winterizing it this winter I had left my old battery connected and didn't it start it up for a couple months, then when I went to winterize and tried to start it up one last time you could tell things weren't working fully because the battery was done.

Im thinking the issue maybe a fuse? I had a peak for fuses but couldn't locate any, nor any wiring diagrams.

Any thoughts? Tips?

Thanks,
    Erik

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    rectifier?

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    rectifier?
    Do they go pretty easily?
    Do they hold fuses?
    How can I test it?

Thanks,
    Erik

+1
    Could be a rectifier but I have only had them stop charging ,not stop the coils from working
    Open up the front black electrical box and see if its all clean free of rust and tidy in there.
    The coil brackets can get rusty and dont ground out and can stop the coils from working as they are ground together with the same wire
    Has it been sunk at all ?

+1
    I did read somewhere, that you wont get spark, unless you actually touch the threads of the plug to the threads of the head..

I usually turned the plug to where the electrode sits across the threaded hole in the head, touching.. gap up where you can see it..

I also usually have someone else hold the plug boot, or do the ignition switch.. that way im not holding onto anything to complete a circuit!

+1
    on the left side of the engine bay (exhaust pipe side, same as oil tank..) toward sthe back, there should be the MPEM.. there is a fuse box on that computer dilly whopper, theres only 4-5 fuses in there, but thes case cover should tell you which one is what, otherwise, shop manuals are available for free on the net.

I usually make it standard practice, that before I do any type of electrical troubleshooting, that I understand the system completely, and have a schematic in hand.. helps out quite a bit when chasing gremlins.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you need a proper procedure for troubleshooting this issue.

start at the battery, since it was killed flat over the winter.

get a voltmeter on it and with the plugs installed, check the voltage while cranking..shouldn't drop below 10.5v if so charge the battery lots more and/or replace it with a fresh one.

Batteries get damaged when theya re left connected to a Seadoo over the winter. the mpem draws a little juice looking for your key..and that is enough to kill off most batteries that aren't in top shape.

btw, PLENTY of basic troubleshooting information here..use the search and of course....

welcome to gh.

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome.

I have tested the battery, its putting out 12V.
    I checked the fuses visually and with the voltmeter and they are all good.

I tested for a connection between the battery and spark plug boot and got nothing.

I just pulled out the rectifier and it looks like its in a little rough shape on the outside with some white build up. Now im just trying to think of a way of testing the rectifier. I guess one band of cords is for going in and the other going out?

Im gonna go back outside and check more connections when it stops pouring rain.

Thanks,
    Erik

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	298089

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    at this point even unbolting the regulator was a waste of time. go take a look in the forward electrical box, we'll worry about the regualtor when the motor is running.

so I assume you watched the battery voltage while the engine was cranking..12 seems a little high. you MUSt have the meter on teh battery AND be able to hit the starter button, which means alligator clips to the battery..or having a helper on hand.

standing voltage should be 12.5 or higher..cranking voltage with plugs in and connected should be 11v+

is the MAINT lamp flashing on the dashboard?

in this business.... prescision is the key to sucess.

+1
    Don't remember well on the XP's but if you follow the spark plug cables you will get to another electric box where the starter relay is and the main fuse goes. Also there are the coils. check the plugs at them and also try to find any loose or rusted ground connection . Does the stator plug is well conected??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information