+1

03 GTX sc Tell me what I need to know

So, a customer brings in an '03 supercharged GTX that doesn't run. He bought it this way. Supposedly something broke from not winterizing bla bla bla. It was already partially taken apart down to removed valve cover and loosened rocker shaft. This is my first 4 stroke major mechanical on a ski but not in general. So far ir's been a piece of cake and I have the engine ready to pull. Hours on the display show 179 and it appears to be bone stock never messed with. I stuck my borescope in the cylinders and found water in the rear cylinder. Also upon removing the intake I found it to be full of water and could also see some watery oil mixture on the throttle body venturi. I'm assuming it was run with a hull full of water and the engine has ingested some. I also imagine I'll be finding a bent rod. What other things should I be looking for and upgrading to turn this back into a reliable machine?

+1
    03 is the odd ball year
    wimpy pistons, odd flywheel and SC
    it needs a intercooler
    sounds like a complete rebuild to me
    and do you plan on upgrading the HP

+1
    If the customer decides to fix it I need to go ahead and do whatever is necessary to prevent future issues.

+1
    Engine is now out and started disassembly. There is coolant in the oil and there was some water in the cylinders. The intake had probably 2 qts of water in it! How do you get that much water inside the intake with all the tubing in place? There is also a new white nut on the reverse cable and all the 10mm nuts on the steering linkages were only finger tight.

+1
    Alright, totally torn down. All bearings look good, obviously shut down when it ingested water and they couldn't restart it....lucky. Pistons and rods all look great, there was enough oily goo to keep the cylinders from rusting, probably just need a light hone. Head and valves look good but I haven't pulled valves out yet. It appears when it ingested the water most of it went directly into the rear cylinder. there was water behind the valves and a lot in that cylinder. I'm guessing then it blew the head gasket and thats how the coolant got into the oil. I can't see anything else wrong with this thing. The sc has very slight radial play that I can feel by hand so it probably needs rebuilt. SO....what does anybody have to say about this? I was thinking just do a basic rering, hone, bearings, and gaskets............anyone?

I would say he got pretty lucky. If it were me I would probably still change the rod on the cylinder that took on water to be safe. Hard to tell a slight bend in these rods by eye. If you rebuild the charger, be sure to order the correct kit for that ski.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Alright, totally torn down. All bearings look good, obviously shut down when it ingested water and they couldn't restart it....lucky. Pistons and rods all look great, there was enough oily goo to keep the cylinders from rusting, probably just need a light hone. Head and valves look good but I haven't pulled valves out yet. It appears when it ingested the water most of it went directly into the rear cylinder. there was water behind the valves and a lot in that cylinder. I'm guessing then it blew the head gasket and thats how the coolant got into the oil. I can't see anything else wrong with this thing. The sc has very slight radial play that I can feel by hand so it probably needs rebuilt. SO....what does anybody have to say about this? I was thinking just do a basic rering, hone, bearings, '08+ valves, s/c oiler in pto, flywheel bolts and gaskets............anyone?
    that sounds like it should do man. i added a few things lol

+1
    Is there a problem with the earlier valves? By s/c oiler, is that what is called the rear oil pump?

Thread Information