Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1997 Seadoo XP will not fire up.

I have a 1997 Seadoo XP that will not start. A couple days ago it would crank just would not start using the lanyard. This is what I have done so far. Took out the spark plugs and the drive shaft spun freely by hand. Also tried to get a spark, and nothing while being cranked using the start button. Fuses have been checked in the front ebox on MPEM, and rear ebox and they all looked good. A few days later I go back out and try to start it with the lanyard. I got two beeps with the lanyard on and one long beep with the lanyard off. Still not starting with the start button just cranks, never turns over. The next day I go out and inspect the wiring in the rear and front ebox. All wiring unplugged and off the bolts. I have brushed the connectors clean, used electric cleaner and used dielectric grease on all the wires, pins, and sockets. Hooked everything back up. Hook the battery back up, plug the lanyard in, no beeps, no action from the start button. Tried jump starting the starter solenoid it started to crank, still did not fire up. Now I am at loss. It used to beep, now no beeps or anything from the start button.

I do want to mention. I purchased the ski back in February this year. It would worked fine then. Start button cranked the engine and fired right up!

Please help..

The 787 needs a FULLY charged battery to provide spark.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the hulk....

two beeps good..one beep bad. Seadoo keys can be finiscky..rock the key around on the post a little..the post could have failed. there is a little magnetic switch inside that casues problems over time. So many in fact DESS posts are stock items at my shop, I go thru a quite a few of them each season..really aggravating as one day it's dandy..next day it takes a lightning strike to ge the key to be recognized. Make sure the inside of the key looks good two a u-shaped metal bit inside and nothing bent over. that can short the key and u get nothing

try wiping around the inside of the key and the post. you need two beeps to signify the key is good and the igniton is active. then with a fresh batery, check for spark...no spark?..get ready for a little pain.

check the beeper connection isnide the handlebar assembly. The beeper also is an overheat alarm so it's a darn good idea that it's working. the beepers can be finiscky due to weather..warm day fine..cool day not so good.

with twop beep and a strong battery and with the electrics once overed, you should be throwing a good spark and perhaps get an engine start.

you'll need an ohm metrer..a good one..and a service manaual. ignition parts are pricey for this model be aware of the battery at all times. disconnect it and check the trigger coil continuity. #1 reason for no spark on a 787 outside the obvious stuff.

Ok so this is what my ebox looks like.

Ok The beeper, with that acting like a overheat sensor. Can this tell the ski not to start causing no spark? Also I checked the voltage on the ignition and I am getting 12v. While cranking on the other hand I get 0v. I think this might be the problem i am not getting spark New ignition coil time

+1
    I ask the questions right now.

did you check the key for shorts and clean the key up?..are you getting two beeps or one when the key goes on the post?

again, without hearing two beeps..the engine is not going to start ( or crank for that matter) with the start button. cranking the engine by jumping the solenoid will not produce a spark at the plugs

Ok yes when the lanyard is on i get two initial beeps and I press the start button and it tries to crank. The key has been cleaned and looks good.

+1
    ok engine cranking with a good key..no spark....

the ski is known to be a runner back in feb

so

either the cdi was damaged during a battery connection/charging

or

the trigger coil is open or shorted to ground.

trigger coil is cheaper

measure trigger coil for continuity ( note resistance on meter for later, I'll look it up in the service manual) and then measure between each trigger wire and the engine block ( check for shorts)

on the connector at the front of the engine..couple of yellow wire, couple of other wires. those are the trigger wires..carefully unplug and measure

if the trigger coil checks out and the wiring is all good. You will need a cdi..expensive

but we're a ways from there right now

couple more questions when you opened the front electric box, was the rubber gasket in place?. Did it give you the impression it was watertight?

any "high water mark" in the box. Water can penetrate these cdis' and make them fail. They just kinda look waterproof.

charging the battery while connected came damage the cdi, so can jump starting from a running vehicle

Where are you on the battery?..it was mentioned before. Can you confirm it is at least 12.5v before you try for an engine start?

If possible report battery voltage while the engine is cranking.

hoping it's simple stuff..it's an expensive cdi discontinued from Seadoo.

Take another hard look at the connections outside the electric box

what was happenin between February, when this ski ran and now?..give it some thought

Thats right it was a good running ski back in Feb. I've only turned it on, on land. Never really rode it yet. I brought it home and let it sit until recently. I read something about it being ok to charge the battery while hooked up..

Woke up next morning tried to turn it on, two beeps no crank while start button is pressed.

Ok now I dont mean to ask a stupid question but just to clarify the trigger coil is different from the ignition coil? Im thinking the trigger coil is in the magneto?

Ebox, no it just kinda lifted up, was not a struggle at all. Battery is measuring 12V+

I have done nothing until recently charging the battery. Hope I didn't damage the cdi.

Also is cdi the same as the mpem? I have been confused about that thanks.

+1
    the starter solenoid may have been sticky.

the trigger is not the stator. When in doubt about terminology google it.

the trigger coil generates a pulse that signals the cdi to fire a spark. It sits on the stator and is often called a pulse coil

tell me about your charger.t there is often a sticker on seadoos that warn not to boost a battery in the hull.

on this particular ski there is an mpem and a cdi unit. Often the mpem also controls the ignition too...for a while seadoo used a seperate box often called an igniter. Google those terms.

if your charger is a big automoti e type you might have zapped the cdi..but I forgot to check.

you got fresh plugs in there? Fouled plugs are sometimes tricky to see.

please shoot for complete answers

This is the charger that I was using. I did charge the battery while installed.

The sticker is there on the side. I did not read the sticker at first. I thought boosting was something different. Man I hope I did destroy anything. I still have the same original spark plugs installed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information