98 800 GP Basket Case just purchased

Hi all, Newbie to this forum.

Just purchased an 98' 800 GP with some electrical problems. I do have a service manual and have started working through the system. First, I found the lanyard kill switch wasn't making up. Cleaned it up and works fine now. After that I found the multi-function meter was toast. I purchased a used one off Ebay and it initially tested out okay per the manual. After installing the new meter, the start circuit is not completing through the meter. I am not getting any power back from the R/Y wire. I ran a hot from the battery and bypassed the R/Y wire and I could get the engine to crank over.

The question I have, as I'm new to the Yama waverunners, does the multi-function meter have the capability to lock me out from starting? If so how do I reset codes? I don't have an owners manual and the service manual I do have doesn't say much about the multi-function meter operation. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	298131  

+1
    Yes it does but there is a way to bypass it. But these gauges have codes in them that will keep it from starting. Unplug the single blue clip under the dash hit modee type in a new code using the right side buttons then after it says start reclip the blue clip. Try that and see if you get the gauge to light.
    Last edited by crashhard; 04-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    Yes it does but there is a way to bypass it. But these gauges have codes in them that will keep it from starting. Unplug the single blue clip under the dash hit Mose type in a new code using the right side buttons then after it says start recoup the blue clip. Try that and see if you get the gauge to light.
    Thanks for the help. What new code do I type in? Am I creating my own personal code or is there a list to choose from?

+1
    Security code re enter sequence

1. split the blue 1 pin coupler under/behind the front storage bucket. The warning lamp at center of cluster will light up.
    2. press mode button (button lower left) for 3 seconds until the word "CODE" is displayed on RH gauge.
    3. Set your 4 digit code (whatever you want it to be) by pressing the A, B, or C buttons in your desired sequence ( for example AAAA or ABAC, etc)
    4. If done correctly the buzzer will sound 3 times and the word "SET" will display on the RH gauge.
    5. Then the display will turn off expect for the warning lamp. Its now time to reconnect the blue connector from step one.
    6. you should now have stored the new code..

How to switch between START and LOCK modes:

1. With the display off, Press the MODE button for 3 seconds.
    2. The word "CODE" with be displayed and you are now ready to enter your code.
    3. Enter your 4 digit code using the A, B, and C buttons
    4. If done correctly, the mode will switch from the previous mode to either "START" or "LOCK". START or LOCK will be displayed on the RH gauge.
    5. If the battery goes dead or is disconnected, the security system defaults to "LOCK" and you'll have to unlock it.

5. +1 by:

Thanks crashhard and Cutlass! Now to get some fuel to the old girl and see if she'll light up! Summer's coming

Thread Information