Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Hydrodrags Proposed qualifying rounds and mods

I love the hydrodrag event and think it is a great show but still leaves a lot on the table as far as procedures, ladders, the way skis are paired, etc.

It would be nice if the race directors could make the event follow the steps of regular NHRA racing which most people are used to and has been proven to work for many years.

1. Qualifying.

Right now the skis are paired arbitrarily for round 1 of eliminations. This poses a problem since it is not fair to the fastest competitors. If you have 2 competitors that are fast and the race administrator decides to pair them on the first round, you eliminate one of the fastest two right away.

In traditional professional racing the racers qualify with their best run in 1 or 2 rounds of qualifying. This could be easily done on the water with a Racelogic VBOX which is very accurate in 1/8 mile readings of time and speed. Each ski could make a pass during qualifying day with the VBOX and then return it to the race official at the launch pad and this would be his/her qualifying number. Out of which the best 16 or 8 remain and go to eliminations. Cosidering how big this event is, the $500 for this unit is a very small investment.

Then simply an NHRA pro-sportsman ladder can be made in which the first qualifier races the last, the 2nd qualifier races the second slowest...and this ensures that the fastest skis are not taken out on the first round of eliminations. I didn't invent this method, this has been in use for ages.

2. Time between rounds.

Any racer can tell you that they need to make adjustments between rounds of elilminations because conditions change, hoses pop off, parts break and need to be replaced, boost needs to be adjusted if you are racing a tough opponent, etc. Right now the classes are basically run back to back and the racer has no clue when he is going to be called or how much time is left till the next time he races.

It would be great if the eliminations rounds could also follow an NHRA pattern in which each class takes one round of eliminations at a time. For example, Stock could race round 1 of eliminations, then Superstock is called for round 1, then unlimited is called for round 1...then start back over for round 2. This gives everyone time to see how the ladders are progressing and to work on their skis between rounds.

3. Single eliminations

If the qualifying method is used to pair racers fairly, the double elimination method currently being used can be discarded and switched to a single elimination method which is simpler and makes an event run faster and smoother. And above all, the final rounds add excitement since there is only 1 race instead of 2. The double elimination method just creates confusion and basically doubles the amount of races held in the day. Many spectators can't keep track of what's going on with double eliminations. When qualifying is used, racers are given a chance to step up their game if their first qualifying number is bad, they can have a feel of the field and know if they have to increase performance in order to stay competitive.

Wow very nice point

+1
    DITO !! Really should consider this adjustment for more fair competition

+1
    great fucking point, been trying to get that across but going no where

Banned User
    +1
    Right now the skis are paired arbitrarily for round 1 of eliminations. This poses a problem since it is not fair to the fastest competitors. If you have 2 competitors that are fast and the race administrator decides to pair them on the first round, you eliminate one of the fastest two right away. end quote

Thats not how it works,the looser goes to the loosers brakett and can work there way back up as that has happened to one of my boats a couple of times.. That boat had to face me right off and lost, came back to win second place both times. They were the 2 fastes boats there for the drag in there classes for take off, My boat that won and my wifes boat that came in second.
    Limited and Supper stock classes. Thats where the double eleminanation comes in. I think thats the best way it gives you 2 shots. If you get beat twice then most likley your boat is slower.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Thats not how it works,the looser goes to the loosers brakett and can work there way back up as that has happened to one of my boats a couple of times.. That boat had to face me right off and lost, came back to win second place both times. They were the 2 fastes boats there for the drag in there classes for take off, My boat that won and my wifes boat that came in second.
    Limited and Supper stock classes. Thats where the double eleminanation comes in. I think thats the best way it gives you 2 shots. If you get beat twice then most likley your boat is slower.
    And who decides on how the skis are paired in the first round? Would you be happy if you enter two of your fastest boats and someone decides to pair them right up in the first round? Having a simple qualifying round eliminates all that double elimination problem and leaves only the fastest racing in the field. If you don't make it through two rounds of qualifying it means you are very slow compared to the rest of the field. And if you go out in the first round of eliminations it means your ski is still slow compared to the rest. In that case you get 3 runs and you are fairly placed

This pro ladder can be made after 1 or 2 qualifying rounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nhra ladder.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	298356
    Last edited by MWS; 04-14-2013 at 12:59 PM.

+1
    Like Rocketman said, it doesn't matter how the pairings are done in the first round. With double elimination it gives every one who loses their first race a chance to advance through the loser's bracket. It almost always end up with the fastest guys in the finals. Double elimination also helps give people new to the event an extra chance to figure out launching from the pad without being eliminated if they don't get it right the first time. Time is always very limited for practice & you're lucky to get one practice run in before going out to race for real.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Like Rocketman said, it doesn't matter how the pairings are done in the first round. With double elimination it gives every one who loses their first race a chance to advance through the loser's bracket. It almost always end up with the fastest guys in the finals. Double elimination also helps give people new to the event an extra chance to figure out launching from the pad without being eliminated if they don't get it right the first time. Time is always very limited for practice & you're lucky to get one practice run in before going out to race for real.
    If you do 2 qualifying rounds then EVERYONE gets to practice before going to eliminations. But instead of practicing blind and for the fun of it, they are doing a practice run that can put them in the field. Time is very limited now because organizers have to deal with twice the races and two trees with double eliminations, plus they have to figure out how to pair the skis according to what they feel is fair or according to luck, then they have to allow practice runs so people can get used to it. If you take all of that crap away, you end up with plenty of time to race. Cmon, most NHRA events have 5 times the car counts and more classes running in a 1 day period with track preparation, cleanup, oil-downs, breaks, qualifying, accidents, rain, track drying, and somehow manage to put all cars down the field fairly with this time-proven method but the hydrodrags barely have time to put 50 skis down an 1/8th mile stretch of water that requires no preparation or cleanup? It's like trying to reinvent the wheel by making it square

There is plenty of time trust me, but it is spent in runabouts, jumping over ramps, freestyling, practicing, etc. Even the article about the hydroDRAGS in ProRider looks like a freestyle event.
    Last edited by MWS; 04-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

+1
    Qualifying sounds like a great Idea!!! Practice any any event is limited always has always will. I don't care how tuned you think you got your motor the minute you get it to the track or in this case the water it's a whole different story. Double eliminations seem cool and maybe a wildcard pairing if its a odd number. Just in case someone breaks. I'm for whatever anyone wants as long as my sweetie is happy

+1
    Shrabber you will see what I mean when you get to the event. The ladders are so big and so confusing that I don't think anyone has a clue how the event went down. You will be lucky if you get to make a test pass and then you will spend the rest of the day figuring who is in loser's bracket, who is in winners bracket, how fast is the guy you are racing.

For example: you get there on saturday...you are lucky IF you can get a test pass to feel the ramp. Then they tell you to go to the other side of the lake with your ski for what they call "qualifying" which in reality is "first round of eliminations". You don't know who you are racing so if you are lucky you race and win and come back to the other side of the lake and wait to be called 10 minutes later to race again...and so on. If your ski develops a problem and you need time between rounds to fix it, then you are out of luck. If you lose a race and the race director decides to call you up to race again 5 minutes later then you are really out of luck. This happened to Yasmani Gonzales "your frustration" who lost the first round due to a minor mechanical problem and was called to race loser's bracket eliminations almost back to back and was eliminated twice from the event in less than 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information