Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12V High error?

+1

12V High error?

I've seen the 12V low error before when the battery is low, but never 12V high. It's a AGM battery and I bought it late last season. I did not put it on a trickle charger until a couple of weeks ago. after getting this error while out riding I went home and tried to crank the engine to flush the ski but it won't even turn over, like the battery is dead. My charger has a 2 amp trickle AGM setting which I always put it on to charge. One other thing, I noticed it was slow to start so I tried to finger tighten the terminals. The terminals were so hot they burnt my hand bad enough to leave a blister. I also got a fault code it was P1606 I think (can't start the ski to check it right now). I plugged the battery back into the charger it sais it's at 95%... I wouldn't think it's dead. Any Ideas?

I have a 2008 RXPX

Measure the battery voltage first to see what you have. Tighten the connections with the proper tools, not with your fingers. And throw out the trickle charger, as they are not needed, especially with an AGM battery.

+1
    It showed 14.5 when it was connected to the charger. Yeah I was on the lake so I was just checking the tightness with my hand, is it normal to get that hot? thanks for the info.

+1
    Get a voltmeter and test the rectifier and the stator. Shop manual has info on how to do it. I chased this problem last summer and it ended up being my stator going bad.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    battery is toast if the regulator failed. What brand is the batter? Vendors seem to use agm/sla interchangeable.

oh yeah...replace the regulator too. The battery buffers regulator output.

hot enough to burn you means a blowout is going to happen. Messy/expensive/dangerous

measurements with charger connected are worthless. Get standing reading first. Then confirm quick that voltage is over 14.5 when engine is running 3000 rpm +. Replace battery and regulator

screwing around here gets expensive really quick by only replacing one or the other.

+1
    Is the regulator you speak of part number 6 seadoo part number:710001103 here: http://www.seadoopartscentral.com/fi...008&fveh=39341

I can't get a feel for how easy this is to fix... it looks like it's above the gas tank below the handlebars, is it easy to get to?

The battery is an Orile's Superstart battery.

Thanks for the help agian!

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Thats the regulator. Its easy to get to. It sits on / inside the air intake feed. Pop the hood open and you will see the stock air intake tubes down on the right hand side of the ski that run along side the tank. It fixes to the plastic tubes with two screws. They hold it in so the fins on the rectifier are cooled by the air intake flow of air. It has two plugs on it. One square with two wires (red and black) from memory and another triangle shaped plug connector with three yellow wires to it.

+1
    the oriely superstart battery is a deka agm built for oriely. They are pretty good on warranty of the battery is under a year old AND you have the receipt, they will often test it and replace it if bad. I've had a deka where a bad regulator fried the battery . When I test charged it , it got alarmingly hot even with a 2 amp rate. Once an AGM battery vent opens up...it's pretty much done.

On my bad battery skid, I have dozens of walmart and interstate batteries..only two deka agm's there at the moment. Once I get around 150 cores, I take the entire skid down the recycling center. That's about the capacity of my truck.

the regulator is simple to change ( 10mm socket wrench. DO NOT drop the bolts ), you can order right from here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....&a=91&b=29&c=9

support this forum..where you can find expert help from folks that know.

use code GREENHULK for 10% off list price.

there is a link to the parts store near the top of this page.

greenhulk gets their stuff the same place I do ..Riva Racing..one of the best suppliers around.

When I need oddball parts help..riva is who I call.

When I need a supercharger rebuilt..I send it off to Greenhulk..I can trust my reputation on Jerry's work.

+1
    Thanks man...I buy all of my parts from this site. I just couldn't see the parts diagram from the computer I was using at work so I had to work around. I found it in the parts store too, I will order it there.

any chance this fried anything else? I'm leaving for a week on Friday and want to take the ski camping the day I get back. I'm debating taking it to the shop so they can check everything out and fix anything else it fried while I'm gone.

+1
    replacing the battery and regulator should put you in good to go status. If it does turn out there is a grounded stator..that's a pretty extensive repair as far as labor goes, but I've never seen a bad stator overcharge a battery or fry a regulator.

Most regulator damage comes from trying to charge a nearly flat battery, or running a big stereo while the engine is idling ( at idle, the generator output isn't really large and it's easy to start taking the battery down, which makes the regulator go flat out )

changing the regulator is under 15 minutes typical and it only take a couple of minutes after that to hook up the water hose and test the charging system

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information