To hone or not to hone?

I took this motor apart and found the #2 piston had been replaced. It looks like there was a timing chain failure but I can't tell if anything has been replaced on the head. Since the whole reason it was taken apart was from high leakdown test readings, I'm going to replace those rings for sure. The question I have is, should I have #2 honed? I'm afraid it's going to be close to needing to be oversized... I put the old rings in 1 and 3 and measured and they're a couple thousandths within tolerance. So...1) Can I reuse rings from 1 and 3 and not have any problems? 2) Can I get by without honing #2? Below are the pictures from the 3 cylinders I took. There's no ridge so I'm not sure if it was honed when the piston was replaced. Thanks for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	298456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	298457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	298458  

Do you mean bored and honed oversized?

You need to measure piston clearance as well as out of round and taper to decided whether to go oversize.

Just FYI, anytime you replace rings, you must hone the cylinder with a 400 grit hone to break the glaze.

+1
    Don't skimp get rings for all pistons but of course measure the bores first. Yes hone all of them they look good from what I can see there's still cross hatches in the bores. Most Important measure the bores if that piston was replaced with a standard piston and the bore was either not checked or not honed or honed and not checked your fighting a uphill battle. You have did the dirty work taking it apart check the bores if there in tolerance hone and re-ring all three pistons if one bore is off tolerance look at a set of .20 overs and appropriate cylinder bore job

I took the rings from one of the other cylinders and put them in #2 and they measured within spec as far as ring gap. I know that's not a perfect scenario though. I'm going to have the bores measured by someone who knows more about that than me and will report back. I just hate to replace the rings on 1 and 3 since they had such good readings on leakdown tests. I definitely want to do it right while it's apart also. Thanks for the replies.

+1
    Replace rings and hone kinda of like climbing three miles to reach the top of mountain only to turn around twenty feet from the top

Thread Information