Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel and Charger

Thanks to all who may reply to my questions!!

1. Is there any way to adjust the fuel gauge? My 2011 ultra 300x read low fuel yesterday on my first ride, and after riding 6 miles back to the ramp, it had almost 7 gallons remaining. The way the low fuel warning takes over the gauges is annoying and I would prefer to have the low fuel gauge come on at about 3 gallons, because I am a full grown adult that doesnt need a babysitter.

2. The port to lubricate the charger with fogging fluid only allows me to insert the straw about 2 mm and the fogging fluid squirts back at me a lot. Is that normal or is there a cap or something that needs to be removed.

Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Fuel level indicator is normal it's designed that way for safety. If you really want to adjust it you can but just leave it be.

+1
    You have gotten the information you need. There is 7 gallons left in your tank when the beeper activates. You now know how far you can go. If you do much long distance riding where you need to know your fuel level you want all that warning. You will not pay attention to your guage until the beeper starts. The more the better on a rec ski.

As far as the fogging, the salt water guys are the best to answer that for you. It seems you will be spending quite a bit of time riding the salt. THey will chime in.

Banned User
    +1
    Get a smaller diameter nozzle and spray it slowly it will shoot back. Sometimes though anyways.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    The tube can get caught in the fog port, just wiggle it a bit and it should drop in all the way.

The gauge is roughly a 1/3 used until the gauge drops a bar, then a 1/3 from full to buzzer and a 1/3 from buzzer to empty. At the half a tank mark you do have roughly have a tank, if that makes sense.

You will get 60 miles without riding it easy. You'll get 80+ miles if you're not going crazy.

Cheers, Mal

Thanks guys! I just really wish there was a way to know how much gas was in there in a more accurate way than by thirds of a tank. Seems like its dummy proof to the point of being a useless meter. It would be ideal to be able to set the fuel warning to match the type of ride you plan to do....wishful thinking.

I'm installing the deep fuel pickup....should the float be adjusted accordingly?

+1
    dont install the deep fuel pick up its a waste of time you have already said you hate the early warning, any remaining fuel of which is bugger all isnt going to get you that much further. btw you do know you can cancel out the fuel warning dont you!! like mal said the fogging tube sometimes jams wiggle it and it will drop in..

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, not needed.

Yes, when the buzzer goes off there's 7 gallons left in the belly of the Tank. What I do is to reset the Trip Meter back to zero when the buzzer goes off. The Ski will have approx a 21 mile range at that juncture; and you can watch the mileage on the Trip Meter if you want. I have found that all the major OEM's Buzzers go off at different levels. There is no "right or wrong" here. It is about you understanding the characteristics of the craft you are on . . . and then plan accordingly around that.

I will also tell you that over the years I have learned to rely more on my own instincts and GPS when it comes to where I go on these things, and more specifically, how far away am I from my Trailer or the next gas dock. Fuel gauges have been none to "stick" and give inaccurate readings. JB

Thanks again. My dealer said he sponsored a guy for a while and they had determined how much to adjust the float to give you about 3 gallons when the buzzer goes off, including the deep pickup. I am used to running a 2003 zxi out and then switching to reserve (2 gallons), which gave me 19 minutes WOT. I figure 3 gallons with the 300x and not going full rip and I am within reasonable range of returning home. (8-10 miles)

I could use the trip meter method, but what if I forget?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information