Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waverunner Maintenance Suggestion for Newbie

Hey everyone,

I own a 2006 Yamaha Waverunner FX1100 HO with about 200 hours on it. Being that my brother was the primary user of the waverunner, I left it up to him for the most part to take care of its daily and seasonal upkeep. This, seems to be a mistake at this point but nonetheless, I was hoping to have some questions answered as to what I may do to TRY and "recover" it from ultimate destruction.

Heres what I have found so far. (While I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am not a master mechanic but do have some knowledge so please keep it in mind if you can when helping me out or giving me direction)

FIRST,

This was one of the few times he did NOT winterize it. Knowing I need a new battery, change the oil, plugs etc...when removing the plugs, I did notice some water at the tip of the plug in chamber 4. Obviously, Im a bit concerned about this and would like to know what sorta preventitive measure I can do (cleaners: Startron?) you might suggest I do before the season goes into full swing.

SECONDLY,

Towards the end of last season, it was having a "rough idle" issue. Inititally thought to be bad gas..NOPE. Air filter..NOPE. Now I'm guessing the next possible scenario could be fuel filter? Once the throttle is pulled, the WaveRunner will run fine, for a waverunner with 200 hours on it, but the second you lay off the throttle, it eventually and very quickly starts to rough idle and ultimately stall. Any guesses or suggestions? I have not located the fuel filter as of yet but from what Ive read it seems as if its actually inside the tank and before I do this I would like some suggestions on if this could be the problem. Keeping in mind, it has never had a fuel filter replacement.

THIRDLY,

What are some of the other maintenance things that I can check so I can do everything possible at getting at very least, a healthy ski back? I certainly am not on unlimited funds so Im hoping to keep it to reasonable maintenance but I realize in certain circumstances, reality is reality.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    1. Replace the battery.
    2. Put fuel stabilizer in fuel.
    2. Remove spark plugs and drop a small amount of oil in the cylinders and reinstall spark plugs. Let it sit for a night or two. Remove spark plugs and turn over motor .
    3. Install new spark plugs(this is causing your idling problem, same thing happened on my FX140)
    4. Start and let it run on the hose to bring to operating temperature.
    5. Change Oil and Filter, Remove Spark plugs and clean(to remove any residual oil on them) and reinstall
    6. Coat pump and pump area with WD-40
    7. Enjoy ski.

+1
    Don't forget to lube the intermediate shaft. Pretty sure if you can find or download a manual, you should have a maintenance or service schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowerpan View Post
    1. Replace the battery.
    2. Remove spark plugs and drop a small amount of oil in the cylinders and reinstall spark plugs. Let it sit for a night or two. Remove spark plugs and turn over motor .
    3. Install new spark plugs(this is causing your idling problem, same thing happened on my FX140)
    5. Change Oil and Filter, Remove Spark plugs and clean(to remove any residual oil on them) and reinstall
    7. Enjoy ski.
    I'd hate to be picky here but you said small amount of oil...what would you consider a good amount? Also, is it recommended to change the fuel filter every so often?

+1
    I would say a cap full. Just to get some oil on the rings and cylinder walls in case their is any minor rust in cylinder.

1. Replace the battery.
    7. Enjoy ski.

Great advice! I would add that when you put the oil in, pull all 4 plugs and put the oil in and hit the starter for a couple of seconds (with all the plugs out) to distribute the oil throughout the cylinder. Then let it sit overnight.....

+1
    Yup ^.

Yup ^.
    Any idea what my compression readings should be and where in the above process would it be best to test that compression? Thanks again guys...you have helped enormously.

Best time to check compression is after you pull all 4 plugs put and before you put the oil in. You can check it also one plug at a time (you'd get the same reading) but it's better for the battery to pull all the plugs first and you have no risk of it starting on the other 3 cylinders. To check the compression, screw the tester in and hold the throttle fully open (to get full airflow thru the intake) and hit the starter for a couple of seconds til the gauge needle stops increasing.

i'm not sure the minimum compression on your particular 1.1 motor. Someone else may chime in on that or you can do a search.

Once you're done with the compression check, put the oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a day or two.(if you take a compression reading after you put the oil in, you get an incorrect (higher) reading as the oil will help seal the piston rings-- in fact, oil is used to help diagnos the problem if the compression reading is low--- you would add a couple of tablespoons of oil to the cylinder and take another reading and if it goes up, it's usually the piston rings causing the problem--- if the reading doesn't go up, then it's usually the valves or head gasket ( the oil won't "seal" either of those))

Thanks again. Ill keep you updated. Shoukd I also consider a fuel filter change if it has yet to be done since I bought it new in 06?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information