Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Virage Tx 1200 starting problem

First of all im new here and I apologise if there is already a thread for this but I have tried searching. So I bought a new toy for the summer, Polaris Virage Tx 1200, 2001/2002, with 87 hours, very clean jet ski, for a great price. After the first couple of times out it was running perfect but now it wont start. When I try to start it I can hear a clicking noise which I think is a problem with the solenoid? Does the solenoid need replaced? I don't think the battery is the problem as there seems to be enough power there.

Another little problem I had, I was driving along on my second time out and all of a sudden there was smoke coming from under the seat, so I stopped the engine and took the PWC out of the water and noticed that somehow a pipe had blown off, it is a big curved rubber pipe at the back which im assuming is part of the exhaust system, this was held on by 2 jubilee clips so I just reattached it and tightened the clips so im hoping this simply happened because of being too loose?? Or would there be another reason why this pipe had blown off? Sorry I am a newbie and I dont know much about the mechanical side of PWCs but hopefully I can learn more from you guys . Thank you.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Spend some time reading through my signature links, it should prove helpful.

The model year of your machine will be the last two digits in the HIN number on the rear deck plate.

My guess is that you have the original start solenoid (black plastic, metal back plate), which is known to fail. Replace with a new solenoid, which is updated and more reliable.

Check the exhaust water injection orifice and mesh screen. The exhaust system injects water to keep the rubber hoses from cooking, if this water injection is blacked the hoses will overheat and melt. Also inspect the interior of the large exhaust hoses for signs of heat damage. Look for soft areas or bubbles between the rubber layers.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Ok I promise I will do some more reading.

Would a solenoid from an 02 polaris genesis 1200 with 64 hours do the trick? Or would I be better to get a new one? Ok I will have a look at these parts, thank you for the information.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien111 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Ok I promise I will do some more reading.

Would a solenoid from an 02 polaris genesis 1200 with 64 hours do the trick? Or would I be better to get a new one? Ok I will have a look at these parts, thank you for the information.
    The newest generation solenoid is a better part (all plastic, black, no metal bracket).

In between original and newest version was a brown color solenoid. It was the first upgrade from the original, and is OK. The original black with metal solenoids suffer from corrosion and internal failure issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The newest generation solenoid is a better part (all plastic, black, no metal bracket).

In between original and newest version was a brown color solenoid. It was the first upgrade from the original, and is OK. The original black with metal solenoids suffer from corrosion and internal failure issues.
    I have a mid stage solenoid that does work, and i have no use for it? interested?

Ok so in response to k447 I didn't realise you had like a whole website dedicated to polaris PWCs, I wish I had noticed this before posting. But thanks for the helpful information.

DrkVampire yes I would be interested. The only problem is I am from Ireland and it could be like $15-20 postage alone, how much would you want for it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien111 View Post
    Ok so in response to k447 I didn't realise you had like a whole website dedicated to polaris PWCs, I wish I had noticed this before posting. But thanks for the helpful information.

DrkVampire yes I would be interested. The only problem is I am from Ireland and it could be like $15-20 postage alone, how much would you want for it?
    The exact same solenoid is used on some SeaDoo models.

You might be able to find it locally, new.
    Ebay UK

You want the all-plastic version, not the one with metal backing plate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278002347.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	298703

Some places may still show the image of the old-style solenoid with metal backing, but actually be shipping the newer version. Web site laziness, still using the old photo

Hi again, I have been inactive for a while. I got the solenoid and a brand new battery a while back and it has been running great. However I am still having the exhaust problem, I checked the exhaust water injection orifice and cleaned the mesh screen and the pipe no longer falls off and has water coming through it. But there is smoke coming out around the edge of the pipe even if it is on really tight, which is smothering the engine when the seat is on. So my question is do I need to get a new rubber pipe for the exhaust system? My friend told me to use silicone to stick the rubber pipe to the plastic box however I'm not sure if this would be the best way to fix it. Thanks again guys, hopefully I will soon know my PWC inside out.

+1
    Where exactly is the exhaust smoke coming out? Photos?

Is the exhaust getting too hot, still, or does it now remain cool enough to put your hand on at all times?

The smoke is coming out where the rubber pipe meets the plastic box, even though the jubilee clip is on a tight as it gets which I cannot understand. Maybe the pipe has got too much heat damage in the past and needs replaced? You should be able to see the soot on the inside wall which is a result of the smoke leaking. Yes I can touch this pipe at all times and never gets too hot. Ps thanks for the quick reply and also I have been learning a lot from your signature links.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0001.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	303572
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	303571  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information