Battery going dead

Hi guys I have a 2004 R12 non turbo. I have been having a problem lately with my battery going dead over night. I just replaced the main relay and put in a brand new AGM battery and thought I was good to go. I used the ski yesterday and it ran and started good all day. I went to use it today and the battery was completely dead. I did leave the kill switch lanyard in place, I always have done that, that should not be a problem should it? I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas? Thanks

+1
    I would charge it up and then disconnect the regulator to start testing over night and see if it goes flat

Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    I would charge it up and then disconnect the regulator to start testing over night and see if it goes flat
    Well I unhooked the main plug that goes into the regulator rectifier. It now does not blow the fuse and the engine started right up. I did notice the plug had quite a bit of corrosion inhibitor in the plug end, I cleaned it with electronic cleaner praying that would do it, nope, as soon as I plugged the regulator rectifier back in it blew the 30 amp fuse. My ski is sitting in the water right now, I have go about 2-3 miles to get back to the boat launch to get it on my trailer. Would it do more damage running that far with no regulator rectifier. Also I tried to get the 2 10mm bolts out of the regulator they are frozen.

+1
    First don't go out until you fix it.
    Or ride with a Friend.
    the ski will run with out the reg and alternator BUT ONLY until the Battery goes flat no warning when it does and surly when it goes flat just running.
    You are not going to crank it over ITS all over stuck were you are.

You didn't say anything about the 30 amp fuse blowing before
    1 you may just have a stuffed reg and or a shorted stator coil.

To check coils is easy there are 3 wires coming to the reg from the stator if you have a volt meter the resistance between the wire is about 1 ohm
    Then check each wire to ground you should have meg ohm or more EG NO connection if so a big job to repair take the whole oil tank ect to get at it.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    First don't go out until you fix it.
    Or ride with a Friend.
    the ski will run with out the reg and alternator BUT ONLY until the Battery goes flat no warning when it does and surly when it goes flat just running.
    You are not going to crank it over ITS all over stuck were you are.

You didn't say anything about the 30 amp fuse blowing before
    1 you may just have a stuffed reg and or a shorted stator coil.

To check coils is easy there are 3 wires coming to the reg from the stator if you have a volt meter the resistance between the wire is about 1 ohm
    Then check each wire to ground you should have meg ohm or more EG NO connection if so a big job to repair take the whole oil tank ect to get at it.

hope this helps
    Thanks xdrain, I topped my battery off today and unhooked the regulator. I made it back to the dock with no problems. I have a shop manual and it does give a test procedure to check and I am going to do that tomorrow. Thanks for your help, and I will keep you guys informed.

Well just in-case this can help anyone else, it was a bad regulator rectifier. I ordered a new one for $59. The test procedure ruled out the stator. The weird thing is the regulator rectifier for a 2004 model was $79 and the same exact part # for a 2006 model was only $59. go figure??

+1
    Glad to here that you are all fixed lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
    Well just in-case this can help anyone else, it was a bad regulator rectifier. I ordered a new one for $59. The test procedure ruled out the stator. The weird thing is the regulator rectifier for a 2004 model was $79 and the same exact part # for a 2006 model was only $59. go figure??

Thread Information