Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why Do Jetski Mechanics Act Like Working On A Jetski Is Rocket Science???When Its not

Discuss...............only reason I brought this up is one of my out of state relatives got took to the cleaners and had to shell out $1800 for a complete top rebuild for a 2 stroke/2 piston jetski engine......I almost fell out of my chair laughing.......Im not gonna blast the shop that he took it too because it is a well known place in california.............but for 2 new SBT pistons,SBT rings and SBT upper seals/plus honing the 2 cylinders and man hours work equal to $1800.....wtf is wrong with this picture??Or is this the standard rate??Seems to me the price is well over blown.......2 weeks to rebuild a top end????..........it should only take them 2 days tops and maybe an extra day to make sure tuning is right......but 2 weeks???Wooooooooooooooowwwwww!!!!But I guess its rocket science right???lol..........

+1
    They do it simply because they can, the vast majority of people that own ski's know little about them. That said that shop did a fantastic job emptying your friends pockets. Do you know how many hours of labor they charged him and at what rate?

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    They do it simply because they can, the vast majority of people that own ski's know little about them. That said that shop did a fantastic job emptying your friends pockets. Do you know how many hours of labor they charged him and at what rate?
    All I Know Is What was mentioned above................ man,that is a pretty penny for what was done...........I didnt know anything about jetskis till i bought my polaris sltx..........Im not a jetski mechanic but I am a ASE Certified Automotive Mechanic with a daytime office job..........but after doing a ton of reading and research on pwc engines,it dawned on me that these 2 stroke engines are a cakewalk to work on.........even the 4 strokes are easy........So why is the service hour cost so high???? You would think hourly rates would be the same as automotive.........

+1
    Ok heres my bill last summer for my gpr after it got motor mounts and a solas prop (they also installed the wrong prop, but thats a different story):

total - $2100
    "but wait while we were water testing it your throttle cable broke" (aka we cut it in the shop) "that's going to be another $400 and 3 more weeks"

o yes i was outraged especially because there was no break down of pricing at all.. I actually watched the owner of the shop take a piece of paper write "$2800" and then said "sign here" and drew a line on the paper for a signature. Not saying any names but this guys place really has a bad rep. here on long island. my dad also had issues with him 10 years back with our '98 zxi, he was supposed give it a completely new engine but instead he change everything except the cylinders and pistons.. then charged my dad $3000, the man is a thief.. I believe his labor rate was $125 per hour..

+1
    Wow. You said 10 years ago and he's still ripping and running.

I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but my personal issue with stealerships is that most don't have a clue as far as basic understanding, common sense and knowledge of the skis they claim to be authorized to work on. No reason to take a ski in for service and have to pump out almost a full quart of overfill. No reason for loose wires, water hoses and such that can cause further damage after the customer leaves( and most don't water test even in a tank) and then blame the customer even further. The blaming of the customer to get out of issues they cause is a real low blow as the customer already spent money on the ski and initial repair. Know there are 2 sides to every story, also bad customers and great dealerships with qualified techs, but the good ones are far and in between.

It should be near mandatory for a shop tech to have a Greenhulk account as if most spent some time on here with their certifications, they would be more knowledgeable. Kudos to the dealers and techs on Greenhulk.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    Discuss...............only reason I brought this up is one of my out of state relatives got took to the cleaners and had to shell out $1800 for a complete top rebuild for a 2 stroke/2 piston jetski engine......I almost fell out of my chair laughing.......Im not gonna blast the shop that he took it too because it is a well known place in california.............but for 2 new SBT pistons,SBT rings and SBT upper seals/plus honing the 2 cylinders and man hours work equal to $1800.....wtf is wrong with this picture??Or is this the standard rate??Seems to me the price is well over blown.......2 weeks to rebuild a top end????..........it should only take them 2 days tops and maybe an extra day to make sure tuning is right......but 2 weeks???Wooooooooooooooowwwwww!!!!But I guess its rocket science right???lol..........
    There's your answer!

holy shizzit guys. If i were you i'd be on the phone with the attorney general, a lawyer, and probably a couple of thugs. That is straight extortion, and terrible service. Hell I can re-reing a 4 cylinder honda and do a top end job on it in under 12 hours and it costs under 2K, there's no reason a 2 stroke should take that long and cost that much. Hope you guys take appropriate action.

+1
    Ok, so here is my answer.......

If you feel it Is so easy and so cheap to do, then why don't you do it???????

You have an ASE certification but you have an desk job??? WTH?????

+1
    About the only shop here in town charges 80 an hour I think might be 85.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Ok, so here is my answer.......

If you feel it Is so easy and so cheap to do, then why don't you do it???????

You have an ASE certification but you have an desk job??? WTH?????

I look at things like this. If you can't do it yourself, then you are the mercy of the guy doing the work for you. You hire a lawyer because of his knowledge and abilities that you don't have. Same thing for an electrician, plumber, carpenter, mechanic, etc. They have costs associated with running/operating their business. They are not pocketing $125 an hour. Most people who have these toys tend to have a fair amount of expendable income. If you do a rebuild on a motor, how much time do you have in it? How much is the machine shop work? Add up your time and even multiply by 80 bucks per hour, which around here is about the going rate.

So lets say you have 10-15 hours in removing the motor from the ski, disassembling, cleaning, checking parts, measuring for wear, etc. Then a 3 cylinder top end kit is 300 bucks, machine shop charges 150-200 to bore/hone the cylinders. You are 500 bucks in parts/machine labor. Lets say 15 hours at 80 bucks. Thats 1200 bucks. You are now at 1700. What other parts does it need to do the job right, so the shop doesn't have you coming back because something is wrong? I say either do it yourself, or prepare to pay. Remember, too, the shop is not only working on your machine, and it takes time to order parts and get them.

I have rebuilt several motors, and I know what kind of time it takes to get it right. It also involves a fair amount of tools, and knowledge. That doesn't come free.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information