Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

new to me 2003 honda r12x

Hi,
    my friends brings me over a 2003 r12x and says he got a good deal on this ski.
    He doesn't know squat about it's history. It has 290 hours on the meter. He asked me to service it for him. The air box going to the turbo is removed. I reinstalled it , and checked the oil and took it for a drive today. It performed very nicely for the first half hour in moderate chop. I found a calm area and got it wot and it indicated 61 or 62 on the meter. Shortly after the overheat alarm went off. It was indicated for about2 minutes and then went away. I eventually turned it off and restarted it and it ran good for another 20 minutes. I have a shop manual and i'm investigating overheat causes. I also will be changing the oil here soon. There's a possibility of the oil being overfilled. Any advice for this new to us machine is appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    Rich

+1
    id definitely check the Oil level/change it....im not too informed of the Hondas but id also say maybe flush the Intercooler/ check to make sure its not plugged up or anything.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    JR in JAX had this problem it turned out to be the ECU was getting too hot and malfunctioning........some things you can check is the water flow throughout system and check connections on the temp sensor....send him a PM he can tell yo alittle more about his issue

I'll contact him. thanks.
    I noticed that the ecu (electronic control unit) was hanging out of it's rubber cradle later on while washing it down. Hmmm...

+1
    See Nitro's how to check your oil level post

thanks for the lead to checking the oil level.
    So i extracted all the oil from the ski today. I have one of those tempo suction units. 9 quarts NINE........When the rear plug was removed it almost spilled out.
    So Question is "what kind of damage can occurr from overfilling. Would an overheat situation occurr
    I now have 4 and one half quarts of synthetic oil with new filter.
    thanks

+1
    did you take it out should be fine?

Not yet. Weathers been snooty lately. I will report though.

So....Finally got to go out Sat and all seemed to be going well for about an hour. No overheat and plenty of power. Then it started to take on water and then not run very well. Got towed in and now won't start. Washed ski down inside and out and sprayed with crc......back to the manual to see whats up

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Whoa.Pull your plugs and crank it to make sure no water in the holes. If there is any crank until there is none. Get it started if at all possible to dry it out. Leave the seats off. Spray down the turbo. Check oil for water. (looks like a milk shake) and try to get it running to get warm in case of H2O ingestion.
    It is very important to try and do this sooner than later. It'll rust internally if there is water in there.

Once you get it running again and dried out leave it strapped to the trailer, (don't forget plugs in transom) and back it into the water to see where water is coming from. That is of course unless you already know. You can start it also if you initially do not see anything.

Carrier bearings go at about the hours you have on this ski. (abt 300)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information