Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How often should I apply Fluid Film?

Hi

The other day I used an entire can of Fluid Film coating engine, drive shaft, pump and anywhere else I thought it would help keep corrosion at bay. It built up a pretty thick layer on the engine block etc and it looked a lot more substantial than a thin coating of WD40.

Great I thought just what I needed as I only use the ski in salt water. After the first use today I washed the engine down with fresh water as there was signs of salt water ingress on the block and to my surprise almost all of the Fluid Film had washed away

Is that normal? I was keeping my fingers crossed in that it would at least last a few outings as it works out a lot cheaper than XPS lube. Only good thing I noticed was that there appeared to be a very thin waxy coat left on the sprayed surfaces but nothing like the thickness that I originally sprayed on.

What do the guys who use FF advise? Do you just re coat again after a few rides?

Thanks in advance

+1
    I spray a light coat on everything after each ride. I use about 2-3 cans a season.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I lightly recoat after every ride. But that waxy coat is the fluid film still there. You don't want to make a mess in there, don't put too much on that it's dripping everywhere.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Thats great info thanks guys.

I found it difficult to spray "a light" coat on as the can only seemed to dispense a jet of the stuff hence it being a thick coat in the end. I must try harder next time to try and achieve a lighter mist.

Thanks again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Thats great info thanks guys.

I found it difficult to spray "a light" coat on as the can only seemed to dispense a jet of the stuff hence it being a thick coat in the end. I must try harder next time to try and achieve a lighter mist.

Thanks again
    If you take a cotton towel, or even a paper towel you can rub the FF in and spread it out so its not so thick. Ill spray a light coat after every ride and then gently rub it in to get a nice thin waxy coat on it all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
    If you take a cotton towel, or even a paper towel you can rub the FF in and spread it out so its not so thick. Ill spray a light coat after every ride and then gently rub it in to get a nice thin waxy coat on it all.
    Good idea Ill try that method and hope it will yield better results than my efforts. Cheers

+1
    I do not ride in salt water a lot but I use the SeaDoo Lube from the dealer at all times. I have found that if you let your engine cool down completley before you replace the seat and cover that the corrosion seems to not to be as bad. I have had to put my ski up hot because of weather conditions and took the seat off the next morning and my engine would be covered with moisture. I make sure before I put my ski up for any longer than a couple of days that the hull is as dry as possible.Corrosion comes in 2 ways around salt water those that have it and those that are going to get it. Just a couple of tips I use to to try to avoid it as much as possible.

Banned User
    +1
    i spray my engines down with wd40 and have yet to have an issue. 12 years now and still waiting for the rubber to crack

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    i spray my engines down with wd40 and have yet to have an issue. 12 years now and still waiting for the rubber to crack
    Now you really have me thinking! I have trawled the internet and this great forum and have found so many convincing stories for and against WD40 use regarding rubber perishing. Thats really why I went for FF in the first instance.

I used to be in the Royal Navy as a helicopter engineer and we covered the entire external airframe surface with PX24 which was ,I believe, fundamentally WD40! It stopped salt water corrosion from occurring full stop. Thing is in decades the plastic windows that were held in with rubber seals - they never perished in fact I don't ever remember replacing any rubbers due to deterioration caused by WD40.

Just to add to the pot, whilst reading FF's website last night I noticed it said FF will swell rubber so don't use on it! Is this not the same issue as what is reported with WD40?

I used to drown my Buell motorcycle in WD40 as it didn't like our British salt covered roads (that and Harley D's build quality is so damn poor). Never noticed any rotting rubber seals or pipes!

WD's website claims its fine on rubber too!

Dude596 - now look what you have done - I am probably going to buy a gallon of it today when the shop opens! Damn you

+1
    I buy CRC 6-56 in the gallon jug online. I then put it in a WD-40 spray bottle that I bought at WalMart. Both of our skis get hit with it after every ride.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information