Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs up MSX 150 with new upgrades

Hi Lads,
    Just new to this site and MSX 150, Always loved the look of them, so got one off steelroe and just fitted a ECU upgrade, stage 2, from Desperado, great service and so quick, and 160 t-stat and cooler plugs,

anyway I am selling on my old ECU if anyone is interested? hopefully the weather will pick up soon and i,ll get out and try new upgrades.

anyone have advice on running these with the upgrades i would welcome it.

I also fitted skat-trak 13/19R swirl,

cheers
    Last edited by K447; 04-17-2013 at 04:57 PM.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk Hitch!

There are a few of us rocking the MSX 110/150 twins... but not too many. Glad to have you aboard.

I too have a Stage2 ECU from Desperado, 160 t-stat, and upgraded oil tanks. I'm going to run the stock prop for now... we'll see how it goes.

I'm wrapping up my 2nd rebuild. (1st one was only partial... and new piston rings can't fix a warped block!). Got a new block, new standard bore sleeves, new pistons and new gaskets/o-rings all around... from Randy at Weber Power (great source for Weber parts). It's all together and fluids are in. So far so good. Hope to put the smoke to it tonight.

I had my ski running the end of last season... but my compression was way down 95# due to the warped original block. But even then... it ran awesome. So I'm excited to see how it runs with a healthy engine this time.

If you haven't looked at upgraded oil tanks... consider it. At least remove the emissions recirc hose that goes from the oil separator cyclone to the airbox. If you overfill the oil, get water in your oil (foams up) or roll the ski... it will suck oil foam back into the intake tract. Total mess and pain to clean.

Cheers!

Hi ripcuda,
    Yep I have fitted a drop tank to that breather hose,also steelroe whom I bought it off, had fitted new pistons and rings and had the head done,ie valves done etc,oil tank was overhauled new seals,so it should be good for awhile,oh and compression
    Is 140+ each,the only thing when I Got it was the prop was bad, so with new stage 2 I taught I would put a 13-19r swirl,
    Have you heard anything about skat tracs in these?
    Cheers

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I presume Desperado provided advice regarding the optimal target RPM for his revised engine tune.

The impeller is the other primary factor in engine RPM, as it provides the 'load' for the engine. Make sure the RPM is indeed within the desired range at wide open an smooth water. Ignore the speedo and the pretend 'boost' gauge, just monitor RPM.

If the impeller is close to correct the engine RPM will also be close to optimal. From there you can tweak the impeller pitch or experiment with other impellers.

No
    I didn't get any info on target rpm,s on it with stage 2' what would be the optimal rpm,s ? It's great to get the advice,
    it was hitting 7500 on old prop and it was well worn, and it was caveatting like mad,
    Thanks again for all your advice

Oh and i am selling the original ecu if anyone is interested,,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch007 View Post
    No
    I didn't get any info on target rpm,s on it with stage 2' what would be the optimal rpm,s ? It's great to get the advice,
    it was hitting 7500 on old prop and it was well worn, and it was caveatting like mad,
    Thanks again for all your advice

Oh and i am selling the original ecu if anyone is interested,,
    Might be worthwhile to send a message to Desperado, as he knows his tune very well.

I recall that the optimal WOT RPM was quite close to the RPM limiter red line, but off the top of my head I don't recall exactly what RPM was optimal for each 'stage'.

Yep your right,I will bang on an email to Martin, i will let you know what he says,

Are you running msx150 or 140?

I love the hull, coming from a Vx which was a barge in comparison I also had a xlt1200 for a while but it's handling was a required taste to say the least, mad turns until you fitted top loader!!

Hi Alan,

Anywhere between 7500 to 7700rpm would be great. In my view, 7200 would be too low... and 7400-7500 is what you should expect on a typical hot day.

Martin

Hi Guys
    Here is the response I got from Desperado so i will let you know what it runs at with the skat trak and ecu remap,
    Last edited by K447; 04-18-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Thanks for sharing Hitch.

I've added this bit of info to the 'ECU Upgrades' sticky in the MSX/Matrix section for future reference.

Hope to get my stock prop ski out on the lake soon. We'll have to compare MPH (using GPS) and RPMs.

Cheers!

Yep that will be interesting to see what they both run at, rpm,s and speed using the gps.
    didn't you up grade your turbo as well?
    it will be sunday week before I can get a run, any how the weather here is still very mixed wind-rain etc.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information