WTF happened to this Stator on my GP1300r? PICS

So my GP1300r wasn't charging the battery last year, and I was able to rule out the Rectifier/Regulator, and any sort of connection issues. Being the cheap bastard that I am, and knowing that swapping the stator was not only not cheap, but a royal PITA, I just rode it and carried a spare battery with me in case it died. But that got old, I broke down and bought a stator off ebay, and got in there and took mine off. Well, that was definitely the problem, as you can see in the pics. It appears to me that the stator was physically damaged somehow, like something loose was inside the housing and causing it to get all chewed up. But I didn't find anything in there. I guess it's possible that something was in there and fell into the hull, but I couldn't find anything. So I installed the new one, started her up, and ran it just long enough to verify that the battery is getting charge... and it is, like 14 volts now or a little more.

Now I'm worried that I may have not gotten to the heart of the problem, and I am debating taking the thing back off and going in for a closer look, before I wreck the new Stator. Has anyone ever seen anything like this, or have any ideas what might have caused it? It's an '03 GP1300r with 118 hours. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-17 21.10.32.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	298761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-17 21.10.19.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	298759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-17 21.10.26.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	298758  

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    looks like a bolt came loose, it could be stuck on the magnet on the flywheel.

Banned User
    +1
    Don't run it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the flywheel maybe cracked around the back where it can not be seen without removal (bad) or the crank is bad (worse) If its the crank it fails in two ways. one it breaks at the crank or the first rod . 2 it slides forward from the pin or web cant rember witch but non the less. Pull the flywheel and look for it to be cracked around the back side first. If thats ok probly need to tear it down by removing the front cylinder and piston to look at the crank. If the problem is there you can see it easy.

3 way puller from some auto parts store works with 3 bolts. Watch for the center of the puller where it goes in where the bolt is might be too tight.
    Snug it up about as tight as u can and sometimes it might take a tap from a hammer. Be ready cause when it comes it comes....with a bang LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Don't run it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the flywheel maybe cracked around the back where it can not be seen without removal (bad) or the crank is bad (worse) If its the crank it fails in two ways. one it breaks at the crank or the first rod . 2 it slides forward from the pin or web cant rember witch but non the less. Pull the flywheel and look for it to be cracked around the back side first. If thats ok probly need to tear it down by removing the front cylinder and piston to look at the crank. If the problem is there you can see it easy.

3 way puller from some auto parts store works with 3 bolts. Watch for the center of the puller where it goes in where the bolt is might be too tight.
    Snug it up about as tight as u can and sometimes it might take a tap from a hammer. Be ready cause when it comes it comes....with a bang LOL.

I mean, looking back, I ran this thing last summer for an easy 20 hours, with the stator not charging... Don't you think that if the crankshaft is shot, I wouldn't have been able to do that? What would cause the flywheel to crack?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd start fishing around the bottom of the hull with a magnet to see if anything comes up. Given the cost of the stator, pull it and inspect the flywheel carefully. Did you find the washer on the end of the starter shaft?

Good question about the starter washer.. that's what I get for rushing through the replacement... I get to do it again! That's okay, because the exhaust isn't a royal pain in the a$$ to get off or anything!!! I just hope the couple minutes I ran it while hooked to a hose didn't ruin my replacement stator.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've never seen one break..but that's a possible source of your damage as they tend to fall off the stator cover during the struggle to get them off the engine and out of the hull...I believe they are made of copper..but you never know if somebody stuck a steel one in there..anyhow a fishing expedition in your hull with a magnet stuck into the end of an old fuel line will at last let you find out what might be down there. You can always tell the skills of the previous techs by what you find in the hull..and if zip ties are cut off flush, or turned into edged weapons by cutting at 45 degrees ( lazy fockers)

sorry for bringing up an old post, but did you find your problem?? I just pulled mine apart to change stator and found pieces of the metal from my front seal.. what did you find when you pulled the flywheel???

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbuds View Post
    sorry for bringing up an old post, but did you find your problem?? I just pulled mine apart to change stator and found pieces of the metal from my front seal.. what did you find when you pulled the flywheel???
    Canadianbuds, been there done that last summer. The metal had me scratching my head wondering what it was. I had to split cases and replace seal. Oil was all in the crankcase. Todd's stator was clean so I don't think it was his seal.

Thread Information