Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need help deciding on a ski. Please give input.

Hey everyone, I've never owned a ski before but I've ridden them many times and I've owned a lot of boats in my life and I think it's time for a ski. My problem is I can't decide which one is better. Here are the 2:

-2003 seadoo gtx(non SC) vans wake edition. 67hrs 155hp

-2004 Yamaha fx ho. 125hrs 160hp(I think)

both have always been stored inside and look great. The seadoo comes with a cover and I think the yamaha does too. Both trailers are good and everything is well taken care of. My question is mainly reliability. I've done lots of research and they all say the yamaha MR1 engine is super reliable...then again it has 60 more hours which is going to be a whole season of riding. Is the 1500cc seadoo as reliable with proper maintenance? Which one would you pick?

my riding-mainly lakes, maybe ocean 1-5 times in its lifetime. It will sit in the water on a mooring tho if that affects anything. Is that bad for a ski? I could probably get a lift if a mooring is not good. Thanks for the input to help a newbie out!

Anyone have any input on reliability of the 1500cc non supercharged engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkjeeper06 View Post
    Hey everyone, I've never owned a ski before but I've ridden them many times and I've owned a lot of boats in my life and I think it's time for a ski. My problem is I can't decide which one is better. Here are the 2:

-2003 seadoo gtx(non SC) vans wake edition. 67hrs 155hp

-2004 Yamaha fx ho. 125hrs 160hp(I think)

both have always been stored inside and look great. The seadoo comes with a cover and I think the yamaha does too. Both trailers are good and everything is well taken care of. My question is mainly reliability. I've done lots of research and they all say the yamaha MR1 engine is super reliable...then again it has 60 more hours which is going to be a whole season of riding. Is the 1500cc seadoo as reliable with proper maintenance? Which one would you pick?

my riding-mainly lakes, maybe ocean 1-5 times in its lifetime. It will sit in the water on a mooring tho if that affects anything. Is that bad for a ski? I could probably get a lift if a mooring is not good. Thanks for the input to help a newbie out!
    the 155 seadoo is a bulletproof motor when maintained properly..

my buddy has an 04 fxho.. nice ski but youll be better off with the GTX... IMHO

i personally am NOT a fan of leaving the ski in the water.. if you have the funds i would opt for a lift..

+1
    hate to disagree but IMO NOTHING beats the reliablitly of a yamaha! what you just did here was start another thread where yami and sea doo guys will argue and never agree.. its all personal opinion, maybe take them for a test ride if possible and see which one you like more.

Absolutly Never leave a ski in salt water. you need to flush the engine out with the hose after each ride, which you cant do if its in the water. I wouldnt leave it in fresh water either but its better than salt. the hull isnt painted so barnicals and algee will start to grow which will look bad and slow you down. IMO leave it in for 3 days at the most if your constantly using it, bad to let it sit without flushing the engine. you could get some floating docks if you dot want to use the lift everytime. http://www.carolinadocks.com/catalog...9fb5ceaeef3306

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    hate to disagree but IMO NOTHING beats the reliablitly of a yamaha! what you just did here was start another thread where yami and sea doo guys will argue and never agree.. its all personal opinion, maybe take them for a test ride if possible and see which one you like more.
    eff yoo yammi!! haha just kidding

im not going to agree or dissagree with you BUT... i had two seadoos..

one was a 718 spx (aprox 75 hours).. i HATED the carbs.. it never ran properly it always bogged at WOT, the fuel guage never worked properly, i broke a few motor mounts jumping a wave and the thing started to sink once (yeah that was my fault i know) but the thing started EVERY time and minus the lack of MPH.. it never let me down on having fun..

the second is my 06 GTX 215 (8 origional hours).. it was a FREAK accident but the very FIRST time i took it out it blew the hose clamp on the exhaust pipe and it nearly sank.. (dealer took care of everything...and is STILL taking care of everything)... reguardless of MY problems with the both machines my buddy is a seadoo guru.. i mean he has 7 different skis.. theyre all different models, years and motors.. theyre immaculate.. never miss a beat, always start and never dissappoint.

now my buddy with the fx ho has.. 117 hours and has never started to sink.. never not started.. never had a problem with it (thank goodness too because when i was sinking i relied COMPLETELY on his machine to rescue me and my ski)..i cant say anything bad about the reliability of the yamaha.. but i feel the design of the fx is a bit lacking.. its a bit plain... its a little bit bigger then the GTX which, IMO you can feel the difference in a turn.. i was buying a fxho right before i found the deal on my seadoo..take them both for a ride and see how YOU feel.. either way the reliablity is there on both of them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
    eff yoo yammi!! haha just kidding

im not going to agree or dissagree with you BUT... i had two seadoos..

one was a 718 spx (aprox 75 hours).. i HATED the carbs.. it never ran properly it always bogged at WOT, the fuel guage never worked properly, i broke a few motor mounts jumping a wave and the thing started to sink once (yeah that was my fault i know) but the thing started EVERY time and minus the lack of MPH.. it never let me down on having fun..

the second is my 06 GTX 215 (8 origional hours).. it was a FREAK accident but the very FIRST time i took it out it blew the hose clamp on the exhaust pipe and it nearly sank.. (dealer took care of everything...and is STILL taking care of everything)... reguardless of MY problems with the both machines my buddy is a seadoo guru.. i mean he has 7 different skis.. theyre all different models, years and motors.. theyre immaculate.. never miss a beat, always start and never dissappoint.

now my buddy with the fx ho has.. 117 hours and has never started to sink.. never not started.. never had a problem with it (thank goodness too because when i was sinking i relied COMPLETELY on his machine to rescue me and my ski)..i cant say anything bad about the reliability of the yamaha.. but i feel the design of the fx is a bit lacking.. its a bit plain... its a little bit bigger then the GTX which, IMO you can feel the difference in a turn.. i was buying a fxho right before i found the deal on my seadoo..take them both for a ride and see how YOU feel.. either way the reliablity is there on both of them.
    lol you've had some bad luck with skis.. i've also broke my gp1300r motor mounts so i can say yami's are perfect. i do agree that the fx looks plain and boring, especially with the new boxy look from the front. I do love the fzs/fzr, i know it doesn't have all the fancy buttons but it gives you what you want, pure speed. my neighbor has one, we've got it running (with some help from riva ) at 85.6mph, i probably ride it more than him!

+1
    Yamaha gets my vote and I have owned 15 Sea Doo's.

+1
    Here is what I found:
    Seadoo---- Yamaha
    Storage: 52.6---- 27 gal
    Weight: 790 lbs---- 772 lbs
    Length: 130.4---- 131.5 inches
    HP: 155---- 160
    Fuel: 15---- 18.5 gal
    top speed: 58---- 58 mph

Only major difference in the two is storage and fuel tank size, too very close machines! I would go with the one that is the best deal unless you can ride both and see what YOU like. When I had an older two stroke 97 GTX my friend had a 02 Yamaha 2 stroke and I would always outrun him and his blew up 3 times...with less then 125 hours on it, mine was sunk a couple times and finally blew up at 560 hours-but that's 2 stroke. Both are good machines.

I really appreciate all the input guys. I just found another Yamaha with only 20 hours for the same price. Ill drive an hour extra each way, but at 20 hours its barely broken in. The guy bought it thinkin it'd be fun but he decided he likes his 2 boats better

+1
    what model is it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information