zxi 1100 fuel filter

I'm new here, just recently bought a '97 ZXi 1100 and had a question. I've converted it to premix and I'm in search of a fuel filter. No local Kawasaki dealer and the one I called wanted nearly $50 for one and would take a week to get. What other options do I have for a replacement fuel filter? I would think a paper element one would get saturated with oil and or come apart and cause all kinds of issues and I'm worried the little tiny ones might not flow enough for such a large engine. I do have a local Yamaha dealer though. What does everyone recommend I use for this converted 1100? The one that is on it appears to be original, but cant say for sure. I have not had it in the water yet, just trying to get all maintenance items done beforehand. Thanks in advance. Scott

+1
    Oil won't hurt it. PowersEdge has the OEM filter (# 49019-3712) for $28.84. Still a lot of money. Look at a Fram G2. It's a clear filter with paper element. A lot of people on the Yamaha jet boating site use them.

You should be able to remove the original filter and flush it with solvent to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Oil won't hurt it. PowersEdge has the OEM filter (# 49019-3712) for $28.84. Still a lot of money. Look at a Fram G2. It's a clear filter with paper element. A lot of people on the Yamaha jet boating site use them.

You should be able to remove the original filter and flush it with solvent to clean it.
    Thanks for the input. Wal-Mart had the Fram G2 filters in stock for $4 IIRC, stuck one of those on it so far so good. I put it in the water last night and runs like a champ even with my 290# butt on it. Thanks again, Scott

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I advise against using a paper filter element in a marine environment where the fuel system is of the pulse type.

The kaw filter is pricey, no doubt, ANY fuel filter that uses a mesh nylon element is suggested. paper can restrict the fuel flow too much when contaminated by water.

Not hard to find a nylon mesh filter if you search around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I advise against using a paper filter element in a marine environment where the fuel system is of the pulse type.

The kaw filter is pricey, no doubt, ANY fuel filter that uses a mesh nylon element is suggested. paper can restrict the fuel flow too much when contaminated by water.

Not hard to find a nylon mesh filter if you search around a bit.
    Thanks for the info. Think I'll rest better if I just quit being a tight arse and order an OEM one.

+1
    Good point, Peter!

I prefer the mesh filters because you can clean them. Water could certainly be a problem with a boat.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I see this kinda hackage often and the results are seldom acceptable.

I'll be honest..I always have a bit of sticker shock when buying kaw parts. I nearly fell over when I saw that the simple nylon mesh filter for kaw skis runs $35. That's what I pay for a filter for a fuel injection system that can filter fuel for 80k miles +

for thread lurkers, the fuel filters appear to be defective as they never seem to flow much gas.

As with surgical enhancements, looks are almost always deceiving

+1
    On the other hand, there are a lot of people on the Yamaha jet boat site that run the Fram on 1200 engines with good results. (I use OEM).

Thread Information