sl750 crank bearing questions and a GOOD sbt story

So a while ago my 94 sl750 blew a main bearing and just now got around to buying a new crank from sbt. The first one that came in the mail from them looked nice, but the bearings were just as loud as the ones on my blowen old crank. Extremely pissed off I called warranty and without hesitation they told me that they would not make me send it in for warranty inspection bs and that they would have a new crank on its way that day for me, and shipping was on them. About a week for shipping later my new crank showed up and the bearings are tight and it is ready to roll. Its bad that they sent out a NEW crank with bad bearings, but atleast they had the balls to say that we screwed up, we arnt going to blame you, and lets get this right. So in the end, even though people rant and rave about how horrible the service/products are from sbt, accidents happen and at a hundred bucks less for a crank then the next cheapest one, ill hapily buy from them again.

So onto my actual question.....how do the locating pins on the crank bearings line up? Do they all go facing up,down, sideways? I dont remeber as i tore it down 2 months ago and i cant seem to find anything in the shop book.

Should i put silicone on the outer lips of the crank seals? or just leave them dry?

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Certainly not silicone! If you want to use an adhesive to help keep the bearings in place, Loctite sells a specific product for this purpose. I forget the product number but it is green, as I recall.

Look at the crank case halves. You should be able to see where the pins fit into a recess.

Banned User
    +1
    I have always though the service I have gotten from SBT was nothing but first rate. May not always have the best product for my applications, but they are very good to deal with.

+1
    The case halves are sealed with three bond 1211 or yamabond. I use the same on the seals to ensure a good seal. As K447 said, there is a recess milled into the case halves for the pins on the crank bearings. If they are not in the right spot the case halves will not fit together correctly.........

sorry, didnt mean silicone, ment liquid gasket like 3 bond, honda bond, etc. and maybe im just slow but after an hour and a half i finally figured out the recess in the lower case and it all fits like a glove. Thats what i get for letting this thing sit on the back burner for so long.

Ill hopefully get this motor back together tomorrow and and run it next weekend. will post back if i run into anymore snags/ let ya know if it lives thru its maiden voyage.

.......and on another note JHON ZIGLER is the shizznet and saved this whole project by getting me a BRAND NEW wear ring for the crank in 4 days for less then a used one off ebay.....a part that is extremely hard to come across.

+1 to him

but thanks for the replys/input

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 87r View Post
    .......and on another note JHON ZIGLER is the shizznet and saved this whole project by getting me a BRAND NEW wear ring for the crank in 4 days for less then a used one off ebay.....a part that is extremely hard to come across.

+1 to him

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 87r View Post

+1 to him

Glad I was able to help your project....

I would NOT put any sealer on the crank case seals. There is no need, they are rubber, and designed to seal against the case halves dry. Use 1211 on the cases only.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    I would NOT put any sealer on the crank case seals. There is no need, they are rubber, and designed to seal against the case halves dry. Use 1211 on the cases only.
    This guy would know!

Thread Information