Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

4-TEC Rideplate Modification

This is an area very rarely touched upon. I'll be doing far more extensive testing with it shortly than I have in the past.

Get enough people looking at this neglected area, and we are bound to find some speed gains.

If you've even done so little as breeze through the modifications done to other mfgs rideplates, you'll realize it's a game of angles, measurements, shims, and machining.

Mill the rideplate and bring the angle up and the ski will get higher outta the water, now you are porpoising, now you are losing pump hook up, now your RPMs changes, whatever it may be... try a a few different grates, try some different nozzles, try pump wedges and different degrees, add some shims here and there. It's time consuming, but in the end as a community we'll find the tricks and it'll cost us nothing and we'll all be going faster that much quicker.

just keep track of measurements so you can always go backwards!

how many of you have seen the rideplates ripped apart and how they are shimmed from the factory right out of the cast mold? here's pics of some of what i've done

also note another pic with marks on it... it will show the high and low points of the 4-tec rideplate. they are FAR from flat or perfect... they lack being "true" by a long shot

small changes at a time... toying with handling and rideplates and ride angles CAN cause dangerous side effects sometimes

these pictures show tapering the stock rideplate angle. i brought the back edge higher up against the hull... in doing so, you need to machine the front of the rideplate as well so as to not create a lip or any disharmony between the mating of the intake grate and rideplate.. or is that even necessary? ... there's 6 mounting tabs, 3 on each side... take down the rearmost one the most, then a little on the middle, then a touch on the front... stock up on some thin shims and washers so you can crank the rideplate up and down at the launch ramp and find the sweet spot.

you can also start machining away the whole rideplate... bc you can only take down the mounting tabs so far until the rideplate itself hits the hull and it wont go up anymore... now you start angling the rideplate edges as well.

LOTS of variables, hundreds!

PS... spare tire pump jack works nice for separating the rideplate don't forget the plastic fittings INSIDE the hull for the closed loop cooling!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00499.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	515.6 KB 
ID:	17266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00503.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	17267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rideplate 005.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	565.3 KB 
ID:	17268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00488.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	17269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00519.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	519.0 KB 
ID:	17271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rideplate 002.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	526.3 KB 
ID:	17272  

The picture with the skegs, the plate looks chrome. thats as smooth as I have ever seen one. nice job! Is that an o-ring all the way around that seals it? I am sure there are big gains to be had with experimentation.

+1
    that rideplate looks fabulous! Im glad to see someone moving forth with some experimentation on these rideplates

shibster your on the right track for speed,go go gaget rideplate.you may be on to big speed increases

+1
    Shibby, we have already done the milling the the back four pads and alittle of the plate and it works good until you go over 80, then it makes mini porpose.......bad and it scrubs speed. This is something I wanted to wait on posting but.........Im a sharing kind of guy

+1
    why didnt those pics go through on my post

+1
    I cant get them to post If people want ot see the pics of my new rideplate let me know (on this post not a pm)and I will post them

whats would a conservative estimate in the gains on an rxt w/ this rideplate would be and pics would be a bonus......thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    I cant get them to post If people want ot see the pics of my new rideplate let me know (on this post not a pm)and I will post them
    I wanna see your pics Dan (ride plate) thanks

I would like to see them Dan.

Regards

Jase

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information