Need help trailer wiring lights

I got new optronics led and connected wires to new lights by splicing and then connected ground on driver side. Then i connected left side to trailer with two wires. But this side has a ground wire coming from trailer wiring already and my new lights have a ground coming away from them. I tried hooking both grounds up didnt work. All that worked was my drivers side tail light and mu passenger side didnt work. Wut am i doing wrong????

Banned User
    +1
    All the white wires have to be grounded to the trailer or connected together and run back to the white wire on the plug. The other colors are simple plug and play.

So the wire coming from 4 pin is ran all the way through the trailer to the back right My old incadesent lights had this white ground wire attached to bolts that held lights to frame. But this ground was only on the right side. Now these new LED lights have a white ground on them both right and left. So on the right side i actually have two white wires. One from the 4 pin ran all the way back and the short one from the LED? Im very bad at electric and want to learn so bare with me. I just want to change to LEDS on my trailer if you could tell me where these go id greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    if your existing white wires are connected to the trailer frame, then any new white wires need to connect to the frame. Then the rest is just matching colors

+1
    Trailer wiring is a Bitch ! Just got fed up and installed all new set front-to-back. Still did not work. I found that if new lite set has its own ground (white) wire it too must be grounded to the trailer frame. (Who would guessed Ha Ha). I also learned that in some cases the lights will work with no ground wire if trailer hitch ball is clean & well seated (Again who would of guessed)... but the once you bring ground wires into the mix thats where the real problems begin. With the new LED Lite sets ... must ground if white wire to frame (clean old paint off well) where ground wires attach. I just completed this exersize no fun. Good Luck

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Trailer wiring is a Bitch ! Just got fed up and installed all new set front-to-back. Still did not work. I found that if new lite set has its own ground (white) wire it too must be grounded to the trailer frame. (Who would guessed Ha Ha).

I also learned that in some cases the lights will work with no ground wire if trailer hitch ball is clean & well seated (Again who would of guessed)... but the once you bring ground wires into the mix thats where the real problems begin. With the new LED Lite sets ... must ground if white wire to frame (clean old paint off well) where ground wires attach. I just completed this exersize no fun. Good Luck
    It is normal practice to have the trailer wire harness white connected to the trailer frame.

However, the trailer should NOT need to be touching the tow vehicle to have the lights work. If the lights do not work properly unless the trailer is touching the tow ball, this suggests that the ground connection in the tow vehicle has problems.

Trailer lights should work properly when the trailer is not touching the tow vehicle, just connected via the trailer plug. If the lights only work properly when the trailer is on the tow ball, my guess is that the ground wire from the connector in the tow vehicle is not actually grounded properly.

Use an ohm meter (not voltage, ohms) to confirm zero ohms between the ground pin of the vehicle's trailer connector and the battery negative of the tow vehicle. Sometimes metal subsections sections of a tow vehicle are not electrically connected to the actual body electrical ground.

Thread Information