Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

2000 Virage with 2001 electrical, not running

Quote Originally Posted by red1997cobra
    ... I have a 2000 virage and it had no spark so i bought a new used ebox that was told to be from a 2001 virage but it wasn't plug and play.

My cdi box said it was an "81" last two numbers and my new on it a "558". I plugged it in and had just a gray wire left over did some research and found out it is unneeded.

so now i have spark, i cleaned the carb but now i cant get it to run.

do i have to adjust the timing? is there something else i should know?

the ski has good compression.

also everytime i hit the start button the mfd resets itself and red light flashes 11 times?!?!?

also ski will turn over with and without lanyard.

I also swapped over the lm505 and same result with both units
    Welcome to the Hulk, redcobra

I suspect there are several problems which need attention.

It is normal for the MFI display to 'wake up' and do a full needle sweep if it has been sitting for more than five minutes. As part of the wake up sequence the red lamp will flash for a few seconds, then stop flashing. If the engine has been running in the last few minutes, then the display should NOT need to wake up, and the speedo needle should not move. The clock should always keep time, even when the engine is off.

Please confirm some details;
    This is a two cylinder engine with carburetors, correct?
    What is the full part number on the old CDI, and the new CDI. If either CDI has a hand-written number, what is it?

How did you clean the carb? Was it taken apart, cleaned internally, then rebuilt with new OEM rebuild parts.

Lets start with this, and then move on with other tests and questions.

+1
    The 381 and 558 CDI's will function the same- it will run with out changing the timing(as always after messing with the ignition system-you will have to check timing after it is running). If you now have spark, you should look into the things K447 mentioned.

i dont know the entire number of the top of my head. i have a good spark what what i can see by eye. but i cant even get the ski to run at all! it is a 700 twin cylinder carbed red motor. i tore apart the entire carb tiny little filter had some build up on it clean it all and reassembled it. at first i wast getting fuel but now that i clean the carb and the inline filter as well it gets fuel. ski is also premix. also on the 558 cdi it is a hand written 558 i was told it came out of a RUNNING ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by red1997cobra View Post
    i dont know the entire number of the top of my head. i have a good spark what what i can see by eye. but i cant even get the ski to run at all! it is a 700 twin cylinder carbed red motor. i tore apart the entire carb tiny little filter had some build up on it clean it all and reassembled it. at first i wast getting fuel but now that i clean the carb and the inline filter as well it gets fuel. ski is also premix. also on the 558 cdi it is a hand written 558 i was told it came out of a RUNNING ski
    Well, work through the basics.

Check the flywheel timing with MAG piston at TDC. You can see the flywheel through the inspection port on top of the flywheel housing.

Check the ignition timing. Use the Hall Effect sensor test to verify ignition trigger.

The 700 twin uses wasted spark system, so both spark plugs must be connected and grounded in order for either spark plug to fire. Both spark plugs fire together, every time.

Remove both spark plugs and crank engine. If any liquid comes out of plug holes then something is wrong.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If any liquid comes out of plug holes then something is wrong.
    very very wrong.

Pay attention when working around the ignition, for a number of reasons notwithstanding one brain fart can damage the cdi box.

Did a little looking around this afternoon. When mag is at tdc i lookd in the timong hole and didnt see any marking of any kind assuming its off. When i crank the motor with plugs out i do get some liquid that spits out but i think it was just left over 50/50 mix i sprayed into it when i was trying to get it running

How would i change the timing back to zero ? Is it just pull the cover off and turn?

Banned User
    +1
    I'm not sure if all of the flywheels had markings on them or not. Maybe your flywheel key is sheared?

I can see some markings on it when i try to get tdc but when i do i dont see zero

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by red1997cobra View Post
    How would i change the timing back to zero ? Is it just pull the cover off and turn?
    If the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key then the flywheel housing cover needs to come off. Then the flywheel comes off (requires a decent flywheel puller).

If the key has sheared then something has gone wrong. The key is not soft metal, and the flywheel is Loctited to the shaft taper and the nut is well tightened.

Replace the woodruff key only with another Polaris OEM part, not something from a lawn mower.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information