Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

newbie needing help 1995 seadoo XP

I have a 1995 XP runs great then engine quits, Will not turn over leds on. unplug the the stator, plug back in and it starts and runs just as before. Seams to only happen at high rpm. Any Ideas ?

Thanks Tim

+1
    I had trouble with the 4 pin harness a couple years ago. I had to replace the female and male connectors because my rectifier wasn't charging the battery. Maybe you have an intermittent connection with the charging coil (black/black red) the generating coil wires are the yellow/yellow black which generates ac current to rectifier. The tachometer also works off the yellow/black. Does the tachometer work?

Sounds like you are seizing pistons. In the time it takes to disconnect the stator, the pistons cool and the engine unlocks. Pull the head and I think you will be surprised at the condition of the pistons

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'll take a wild ass guess here and say that the cdi is the problem..

I recently had a brand new out of the box cdi crap out in this manner..engine would run...but only for a few seconds then it would quit. At high rpm it may have lost the ability to process the trigger data and just shut down. Disconnecting the stator resets this particular cdi. The ignition is kept alive until the stop button is pressed or the cdi senses that the trigger pulses are no longer coming.

Pulling the heads is no big deal and certainly worth the effort btw..or maybe a peek with a bore scope camera ( amazing how many folks have one these days...)

welcome to greenhulk

there are a number of other possible reasons and plenty of information on them here.

can you take a compression check?

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    Sounds like you are seizing pistons. In the time it takes to disconnect the stator, the pistons cool and the engine unlocks. Pull the head and I think you will be surprised at the condition of the pistons
    I appreciate the information, Would the pistons cool enough in five to ten seconds to unlock? I will do a compression check next

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I'll take a wild ass guess here and say that the cdi is the problem..

I recently had a brand new out of the box cdi crap out in this manner..engine would run...but only for a few seconds then it would quit. At high rpm it may have lost the ability to process the trigger data and just shut down. Disconnecting the stator resets this particular cdi. The ignition is kept alive until the stop button is pressed or the cdi senses that the trigger pulses are no longer coming.

Pulling the heads is no big deal and certainly worth the effort btw..or maybe a peek with a bore scope camera ( amazing how many folks have one these days...)

welcome to greenhulk

there are a number of other possible reasons and plenty of information on them here.

can you take a compression check?
    No, cdi on a 95xp, just generating and charging coil. The symptons could be a mild seizure. Gray fuel lines? Could be lean fuel delivery. No cdi unless its a 800

+1
    no cdi?..how exactly does that ignition system work then?

Did a Compression Test, 120 both cylinders, I know it is optimum to have 150 but this thing is 18 years old and runs strong when it runs, top of the pistons are dark and look normal, looks like its getting plenty of oil. I am running premix right now until i am sure the oil injection is working properly. The fuel lines have been replaced, Carbs rebuilt,

And yes is has a CDI,

+1
    sudden stoppage..and then you can you get any action out of the starer button, or does it seem to be dad until you disconnect the stator connection?

This time disconnect the battery reconnect it and then try the starter, it it cranks, there is a very good chance the mpem is toast.

If you run at mid range for a while, will the engine cut out?

The sure wat to tell is to rig some wiring so you can monitor the starter solenoid while the electric box is installed...no juice to the solenoid after the engine stops when you hit the start button?..cdi..disconnect the battery and it cranks again..CDI..

have you been in the box yet?...they are prone to leaking if you don't get the cover on just right.

I'd open it up to check.

Pull the battery, unsnap the electric box with a push tab at the aft end of it and work it out past where the battery was..a little tricky, but you can get the hand of it pretty quick

the cdi aren't painfuly expensive..just expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    sudden stoppage..and then you can you get any action out of the starer button, or does it seem to be dad until you disconnect the stator connection?

This time disconnect the battery reconnect it and then try the starter, it it cranks, there is a very good chance the mpem is toast.

If you run at mid range for a while, will the engine cut out?

The sure wat to tell is to rig some wiring so you can monitor the starter solenoid while the electric box is installed...no juice to the solenoid after the engine stops when you hit the start button?..cdi..disconnect the battery and it cranks again..CDI..

have you been in the box yet?...they are prone to leaking if you don't get the cover on just right.

I'd open it up to check.

Pull the battery, unsnap the electric box with a push tab at the aft end of it and work it out past where the battery was..a little tricky, but you can get the hand of it pretty quick

the cdi aren't painfuly expensive..just expensive.
    No action on the starter untill the mag/stator plug unpluged, Then starts normally.

Mid range running never a problem seems to only happen at high rpm.

Been in the box its dry, Had to replace the mpem when i got it, (It is after market)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information