Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 polaris genesis switch from fuel injection to carb

Is it possible to change a 2000 polaris genesis that is fuel injected to a carberated motor i figure i could change the heads, intake and add the carbs but what would i do with the electronics?? How would you make it work??

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    anything is possible, define in $ units your value of possible..as it ain't gonna be cheap or easy.

likely better to fix whatever FI problem you have.

fixing a harness melt down would cost less then converting.

if you have the complete carbed engine setup pulled from another ski, you're a bit better off, but still a pita.

What's up with the injection?

Banned User
    +1
    I would keep the injection. They sure are sweet when they are working!!!!!

Super sweet when they work LOL from what I have seen on here and from what I see for sale it seems that not many are working,, Also when they are not working it always a problem with the EEM, TPS and the Fuel pump and regulator. Or a combination of all three so after replacing all that and spending about $1000 I was thinking it might be cheaper to make a carburated motor.

The problem with the Ski from what Im told and from what I saw it starts fine and idles fine but as soon as you give it gas it dies. The seller wants like $700 I have two other ski's that I have redone a 1997 Polaris SL 900 which is for sale and a 1997 yamaha 1100 both were easy to rebuild I could fix it all but with this fuel injection if the eem is bad thats $700 right there I figure it might not be worth it..

Banned User
    +1
    That 700 bucks might be all you need to spend though. And once they are repaired I don't know if they really ever fail again. If you are getting it for 700 bucks, I would go for it. It also could be a stator/flywheel issue, which would be even cheaper to fix. Once you get an understanding of the FICHT machines, they really aren't that difficult.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shake and bake View Post
    Super sweet when they work LOL from what I have seen on here and from what I see for sale it seems that not many are working,, Also when they are not working it always a problem with the EMM, TPS and the Fuel pump and regulator. Or a combination of all three so after replacing all that and spending about $1000 I was thinking it might be cheaper to make a carburated motor.

The problem with the Ski from what Im told and from what I saw it starts fine and idles fine but as soon as you give it gas it dies. The seller wants like $700 I have two other ski's that I have redone a 1997 Polaris SL 900 which is for sale and a 1997 yamaha 1100 both were easy to rebuild I could fix it all but with this fuel injection if the eem is bad thats $700 right there I figure it might not be worth it..
    Knowing what the primary potential problem causes are puts you in a good position!

Pressure regulator is an inexpensive and/or easy fix.

TPS is a known cost item.

EMM full repair is also fairly defined in terms of maximum cost.

Don't under estimate how much time and trouble it takes to do a carb conversion. Lots of little things that add up, and a few significant items. Entire electrical system needs to be swapped over. Engine cases need pulse fittings. Change flywheel and magneto stator. Choke cable and knob, entire carb rack. Different fuel tank sender unit (only available from fuel sender in the Freedom model). Source and mount fuel selector valve, fuel/water separator. Etc, etc.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the NADA book value for that ski and get back to me...

Banned User
    +1
    Not to mention, you will use way less gas by staying injected. I think I ran around for an hour today at mostly 3/4 to full throttle and used 1/4 tank of gas on my MSX. Im pretty sure my friend's Yamaha used twice that much.

you say it might be the stator meaning that low voltage is causing the problem I guess that could also be a coil problem right? Well maybe you have talked me into it someone is coming to look at my SL900 Im selling if he buys it Im gonna go for it

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Could be something as simple as bad coil grounds. Wont know until you check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information