Is it worthwhile to reinforce?

A while back I heard Yamaha had a recall and reinforced some of the 97 gp1200 hulls. I have my gas tank out now and lots of access. Should I reinforce? Also, does snyone have any pictures of where Yamaha reinforced? I already have the necessary supplys and knowlege of fiberglass to get it done.

+1

Cool

front bow area all the way down to motor mounts ,have someone bend thin sst channels to tie motor mounts together useing xtra bolt hole you'll see other that motor mount bolt(allso if you have trick riva 97 ski see how that did!
    late cd

+1
    The hull does not flex as much with the mod. The hull was faster and had better control after Yamaha modified my hull. The ride was similar to the ride of a 98. No down side to the mod except the down time to get it fixed.

Does any one have any pictures of this mod? Was it just the Stainless steel brace? Or was there fiberglassing involved?

+1
    Hull Flex...pay attention guys for some free r&d. There are 2 reasons to have the hull bracing done. The first being to keep that gas tank from being a reef after going through the bottom. The second is something that we found out by accident. The stiffer the hull, the faster the hull. On the lightweight factory type hulls this was'nt a factor for bracing. Buoy to buoy does'nt lend to going faster but quicker.

But we re-enforced the sides and bottom because we had that 2 part foam stuff to play with. When the hull got rock hard from the sides and the bottom we picked up speed, not much but we picked. How much? Maybe 1/2 mph. When you "thump" the sides and bottom of the ski it sounded like a hard watermelon compared to the hollow sound without the 2 part foam. It works. It did it on a '99 and a '97 and they both picked up mph. I had a racing friend in Cali who did both his skis and they picked up.

Free info!

PW.great to see you posting...look here from time to time and help us out....

Ok P/W,am I correct you drilled thru the inner liner and shot the foam?... Any hints as to where you drilled?.... How much is needed?..... Did you remove the engine and tank?.... Did you support the hull in anyway other way than on the trailer/cradle until it set?....Sorry about the questions.. this sounds like a great thing to do!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    Ok P/W,am I correct you drilled thru the inner liner and shot the foam?... Any hints as to where you drilled?.... How much is needed?..... Did you remove the engine and tank?.... Did you support the hull in anyway other way than on the trailer/cradle until it set?....Sorry about the questions.. this sounds like a great thing to do!!!
    No! Don't drill the liner, I am talking about the voids in the sides where the footwells are. Right side and left side we put the 2 part and let it do what does, then clean the excess. Then beneath the engine all the way to the front of the ski, sand it, prep it and re-enforce it with fiberglass cloth and the proper epoxy resin, just like there were a crack from front to rear all the to the firewall. Carbon fiber cloth might be the ticket for such a re-enforcing. Engine and tank have to be removed. I will take some pictures in a few days on where to do this.

I know this may be hard to visualize. But stiffer is better.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Did any of the info I fowarded to you help?

I didn't reinforce. My main reasons are because I am not speed crazy......yet. Also mt hull wasn't one of the ones at risk. Oh and Jamie, my hull is number 9889

Thread Information