Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Question Test results from the r3 flash

Ok so today i currently did a water test after install of the new r3 flash and swapped my hks bov for the r&d tial bov kit... let me say the power gains were very impressive it pulled like a monster!! my good friend dso8950 was there and we gpsd my runs. my top speed was 73mph. tryed various trim settings. 1up was preferd. but i was running a full tank of 93, the water temps were around 45 degrees and the air temps were 55 degrees light wind, so really good test weather..my issues are i was hitting 73mph at 8000rpms and i am running a solas dynafly r 13/22r prop inside a riva ss wear ring. so just curious what would be a good prop setup to make this thing turn my target of 8500 rpms? and also the new tial bov i installed acts weird. when you start it up on the hose the piston opens up and air comes outta the thing like no other, then once u hit the throttle it sucks its self closed and then blows off like whooshhhh real loud, is this how they normally operate? im running stock boost and when i orderd it from r an d they said i didnt need to change springs or anything inside of it.

+1
    ok an answer to my bov question i found that guys on the dsm fourums are shimming the springs with 2 to 3 washers and that makes them operate normal. some are going to a stiffer spring but then it does not blow off on lower boost levels..

+1
    With a stock boost wheel they quit making anymore boost above 8200-8300 rpms so it's no need to try to turn it more rpms. On a side note: you need to lower the pitch of your prop to a 20.5 to a 21 pitch this should give you app 200+ more rpms. Tommy Jordan

4. +1 by:

+1
    aiight the info is greatly appreceated!

+1
    get a VX ride plate and go to a 87mm nozzel before you pitch the prop you will see a big difference in how the ski feels and your results will be what you are looking for

+1
    I have numerous Tial BOV's that were bought at different times and 2 of them came with the 3 lb. spring and do what you describe. The very first one I bought came with an 8lb. spring and it remains closed during idle and while it spools up and then when the back pressure hits 8+ lbs, it blows off. I wouldn't sweat the valve hanging open. It actually isn't hanging open, it is actually the vacuum from the intake manifold pulling it open as the lighter spring also has lower vacuum ratings. The 1.8l yamaha engine has about -14 to -15in/hg and the spring they come with now is rated around -04 to -07 so the spring is too light to hold the valve closed while idling. As soon as you crack the throttle it seals and works fine until you return to idle.

If you notice when the valve is open when at idle, there is actually air being forced out and not being drawn in as the air flow backs up against the throttle plate and instead of bleeding off past the wheel and pushing hot air back down the intake tube, it bleeds out through the valve. The cfm these things move is pretty impressive so if you are wondering about the warm air filling the cabin and the engine loosing power, I wouldn't worry about that either. The warm air in the cabin is drawn in and cool air is replaced so fast you won't really notice a loss in power when running hard as the valve now remains closed unless blowing off and the air temp under the seat is about what the ambiant temp is outside from the quick and strong draw of the intake process.

You can visit Tial's site if you want to step in spring pressure if you don't like the gate open at idle and get a stronger spring but the stronger spring will also require more back pressure to overide thus putting more pressure on the clutch before blow off and that can cause premature clutch failure.

8. +1 by:

+1
    What other mods do you have besides R3 and prop?

My R3 shows up in the morning very excited!

+1
    guys, please don't forget that you can order the R&D reflashes here in the forums online store.
    The greenhulk coupon code is now active for them which will save you 10% off the listed price. Take that $75 savings and put it towards fuel and enjoy your day out on the water

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...Path=16_82_152

11. +1 by:

+1
    Got mine second hand or would have come through the store

I will need an intercooler sooner than later though

13. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    With a stock boost wheel they quit making anymore boost above 8200-8300 rpms so it's no need to try to turn it more rpms. On a side note: you need to lower the pitch of your prop to a 20.5 to a 21 pitch this should give you app 200+ more rpms. Tommy Jordan
    Hi Tommy, im gettin my R3 reflash ecu in a few days, how many rpms you estimate i should see with the OEM impeller?? I also have Riva filter and manifold upgrade.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information