Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to check if bellows has lost its tension?

Alright guys, i have an 06 sportster scic 215hp... i come over here as we all have the same bellows / carbon ring setup.

The boat itself does not have many hours on it (maybe 20) But i could see how over the years that bellows would shrink and loose tension. But at what point does it need to be replaced? Is there a way to test for proper tension.

I am looking to try and solve some cavitation issues (had a HARD time pulling up a single skier last time it was out) The wear ring and impeller were in pretty bad shape and i have yet to have it out as i am in the process of replacing em but figured i would ask about the bellows at this point while the pump is off.

+1
    I have an 06 RXP that I have been fighting caviation issues, I have even gone as far as putting on a carrier seal bearing set up, that works very well, it is just not for rec. riding at all, I finally got a new accordian boot and noticed when I put it next to each other that the older one had srunk almost 1/2"
    I put in the new bellows and presto problems solved,

+1
    As cheap as they are and with your boat being an 06,I would replace it anyway while you have the pump assembly off...Im not sure of any way to check it for being bad...

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The manual doesn't give any specs on wear limit length. The only specs I've seen is they tell you to measure a new boot, install it... then measure again to see how much it compresses. There specs are 4-12mm which isn't real specific. I adjust the engine for maximum (12mm) boot compression. I also replace these once a year.
    Last edited by BigDaddyRXP; 04-22-2013 at 07:04 PM.

the boat has no signs of the tell tale black line of the carbon ring wearing. If i do replace the bellows should i replace the carbon ring as well?

id assume i would replace the 2 orings, the c clip and driveshaft plug while im there as well correct?

+1
    Yes, i would replace the carbon seal,2 hat O-rings,c-clip and bellows...

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    The manual doesn't give any specs on wear limit length. The only specs I've seen is they tell you to measure a new boot, install it... then measure again to see how much it compresses. There specs are 4-12mm which isn't real specific. I adjust the engine for maximum boot compression. I also replace these once a year.
    I did the same thing shoved the engine toward the back

so yall are saying that i should replace the carbon ring even though it only has maybe 20 hours on it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    so yall are saying that i should replace the carbon ring even though it only has maybe 20 hours on it?
    I would inspect it for any cracks,chips or uneven wear marks on it...if it looks good then you could leave it,Me??? I would replace it..cheap insurance...Also some say shove your motor all the way back to add more tension to the boot,you have to remember if you put to much tension on the driveline you could burn out your thrust bearing/washers inside the motor....

11. +1 by:

+1
    Do you guys recommend replacing the hat? I figure it's not something you need to replace, but if I am already there, I might as well do it.
    Last edited by krouchchocolate; 04-22-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information