Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1

95 780SLX finally in the garage!

This is the one I picked up for $225 last fall. Finally got it into the garage to start the tear-down/restore.

This thing is pretty beat up, I'll be doing some repair work underneath as well as all the normal fuel line and carb rebuild. I've read through a pile of threads, but I am open to advice on dealing with the damage to the hull. Basically I have areas about 1/2" wide where the gelcoat has been scraped off or smashed loose. I have to assume the guy parked this thing on rocks! I'd prefer a product I could just clean up the damaged areas with a dremel and fill with product and sand flush, if such a thing exists.

The PTO cylinder is gone and looking at the piston something got loose in there. Almost looks like it might have been a roller from a bearing. So the whole engine is coming out and will get torn down so I can check the bearings on the crank.

I already found a replacement nut, that was fun getting loose from the carb bolt, so someone has been through this engine before me.

The carbs are standard ones, just have the fancy intake arrestors.

What fuel pump did these come with? It seems to be missing. I have a spare triple output from my parts SLT, I assume this is fine?

I'll post some pics as things progress.
    Last edited by stimpsonjcat; 04-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Use west systems epoxy with the appropriate filler material they have mixed in. Then just paint over it. The white paint is PPG 2185

+1
    Thanks Bryan, that is where I was leaning. This hull is red, got a number for that color?

Banned User
    +1
    I can dig up a Polaris part number for a spray can that you get from a Polaris dealer.

Banned User
    +1
    P182 Rubine Red is the Polaris code.

Get part number 2859078-182. They will most likely make you order 2 cans. I think they are around 12 bucks a can. Get it from a Polaris Dealer.

+1
    LOL!
    Just came here to post those numbers from the manual.
    Thanks!

So...theoretically speaking...if one were rebuilding a ski and one discovered a separate HID plate forward of the engine, and it didn't match the one at the stern, what would one's best course of action be?

I've already found a few parts that are worn/damaged to the point they can't be used, but so far the parts inventory has handled it all. Forgot I had 3 functional MFDs.

Got the engine out tonight...chain-hoists are cool. What do you guys connect the hoist to when re-assembling?

I need to find a thread detailing the use of the alignment tool. I was wondering if anyone had specs on one they could give me? I may just make one on the lathe if it is a pretty simple thing.

+1
    Anyone have a pic of the layout of a 95SLX? I am not sure where the following mount:
    -electrical box
    -fuel pump

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    So...theoretically speaking...if one were rebuilding a ski and one discovered a separate HID plate forward of the engine, and it didn't match the one at the stern, what would one's best course of action be?
    Hypothetically speaking, the number inside the hull is the original factory HIN number, and the one on the rear deck is the HIN number plate from some other hull.

+1
    Anyone have a pic of the layout of a 95SLX? I am not sure where the following mount:
    -electrical box
    -fuel pump

Thanks!
    The only pics of my SLX have xmas lights on it, but if I remember correctly, the ebox mounted on top of the battery as the 750s do. You will need the battery cover for this... The fuel pump mounts to a notched plate which bolts to a vertical rib on the SMC hull, again going by memory....

+1
    -electrical box
    -fuel pump

Thanks!
    Check out this post http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-SLX-...718aa1&vxp=mtr

The photo of the inside of the SLX - if you look closely you will see the fuel pump behind the CEN water rail connection bolted to the SMC rib.....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information