Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

seat reupholster?

Bought marine grade vinyl from fabric store....

Wondering if its best to remove existing vinyl (no major defects in it) and what type of glue if any is suggested to use?

I called a reupholster shop and he claims that marine vinyl isn't meant for this but I find it hard to trust a guy wanting my business.....thoughts?

Thanks

+1
    If it was me I would remove so you can glue it to the foam so it doesn't slide.

Edit: find a waterproof headliner or upholstery glue

i just had my cruiser seats recovered think i paid like $35 for 5 yards slate carbon fiber marine vinyl online and $140 for reupholstering and it came out flawless.i wouldnt touch the exhisting vinyl let the shop remove it they usually disassemble the old vinyl and trace the parts for the new cover.

+1
    i have the riva seat cover and the instructions do not recommend removing the factory vinyl! I prefer the material on the riva seat cover b/c it holds your Ass better than the slippery vinyl when it gets wet.

+1
    Check this out. Should help. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8572
    I'd leave stock cover on if you can. No need for glue. Staples and staple gun are used.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Gus knows way he's talking about. If he lived in NY I'd prob change my seat cover with my moods. He makes it look too easy!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    Gus knows way he's talking about. If he lived in NY I'd prob change my seat cover with my moods. He makes it look too easy!
    Thanks! Yeah, I am surprised I dont have a different one each week with the way I change my mind. The way I install them, I want the bottom side to look just as good as the top so it does take a lot longer for me to do it. I dont do it to make money, I enjoy it. If I tried to make money at it I'd be broke with the time I spend on them. I have redone 3 of them for friends that paid to have them "professionally" installed because they didnt like the job that was done. Would have done it first for them, but I didnt have the tools at the time.

+1
    I am not sure why you want to buy material then make a seat cover. I do believe you can install one yourself ... but with the price of a new custom seat cover now available starting $100 and then up. Why not buy one made the way you like it. There are now more than 4 companies that make seat covers. And they all are pretty good jobs now days. Plus when installing it, most companies suggest you put it over your stock cover ... staples does the job, no glue needed ! Good Luck

+1
    If you do this yourself or have someone else do it just make sure you/they use stainless staples. The regular ones will rust out in no time in saltwater. For some reason the person that did mine used regular small ones up front and they are all rusted up and need to be replaced.

+1
    Here in the Tampa Bay area we have someone that does totally custom seat covers. This guy does yacht upholstery. You would have to get your price from him but he is extremely reasonably priced and it includes installation. You would ship him your seat and then collaborate to get the style and colors done. You can even have the foam added to or modified. He is a master. He does PWC seats on the side and you would be hard pressed to even come close to doing this for his price on your own.

Here is a picture of mine. There is a combination of carbon fiber red and black, non-slip suede and black vinyl. Let me know if you are interested and I'll connect you two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	576942_10151561008323834_1268304077_n.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	299517 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130324_094327.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	299518

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information