Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

06 Sea Doo Sportster Air Intake Kit 4-Tech

I have a 2006 Sea Doo sportster with 4-Tech (Non Supercharged) engine. Does somebody make an Air Intake kit for this boat? I wanna get rid of the stock box becuase it's defective and has holes in the back side of it from the factory shooting mounting darts through the fiberglass to mount the seat backs on. It would be nice to try and get a little more HP out of the engine also. Can someone direct me to a basic Air Intake SEt-UP or maybe get me started on a home-made one. Thanks for any photos or info...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    do you ever notice water getting in the engine compartment of your boat?

if not.... which it's most likely that u dont get water in there...

just get an air filter from Riva that they use in the Power Filter kit and clamp the air filter directly onto the throttle body.

get rid of the airbox and all the other rubber and plastic air intake stuff from the factory and a nice K&N intake filter there would give the engine much more air flow.

don't worry about the hot air it would be sucking in.... it's no hotter or cooler than where the stock air box is in that boat

that boat have bilge fans in it? if not, install 2 of em and flip the switch when riding... that'll circulate some air thru there.

check this forum here in the boat section... Yuji put some 4" fans in his bilge to suck cold air into it

Thanks For Your Quick Reply!

Yes from time to time I do get water in the engine compartment. Where I boat It's salt water and lots of wake some pretty large wake so the boat does see water in the engine compartment. My plan is to get the filter up higher so It won't be near the bottom of the engine compartment were the water lays. Are the riva filters an oiled filter? I'm searching the net for an intake tube I can use to get a little more height away from the water in the bildge area. Will I get any kind of an engine light from having more air flow into the intake? Whats better dry or oiled cone filters? Thanks for any info

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you do NOT want a cotton or gauge style filter... you want a marine grade wire mesh type.

you can just use PVC plastic pipe... the plastic pipe will be better bc it wont absorb heat like metal would.

just do a bend of two and hide the air intake on top of the gas tank there... that will be plenty away from the bottom of the bilge.

air filters

Shibby -
    not doubting you but want to learn . . . why not a cotton or gauge style filter? Just a marine metal mesh?

Filter Type

I think it's because the cotton gauze filter could colapse under the intake pressure. I think thats why he said get a marine grade or a filter like a K&N because the layer of screen gives the filter more strength.

Air Box Electrical wires

Also I was wondering about what is the wires/sensor mounted on top of my 2006 sportsters airbox? If I run my own intake tube and filter will that effect the electrical unit monted on top of the airbox? I'm not sure what these wires on top of the airbox are for. Thanks for any info...

Having done the same mod you are contemplating, I had the same Q . . . learned that the wires/box is the rectifier which is put in the air-stream with the cooling fins inward to keep it cool. If it overheats, It can cause chaos with the electical system. I fixed mine to the hull in front of the engines . . . not in a fresh stream of air, but in a cooler spot and have had no problems over 50 hrs of use in hot weather. The cooler the better.

Air Box

Reason you have had no problems with the rectifier over-heating is that the airbox has 2 separate chambers. The top chamber is where the rectifier cooling fins sit inside the top section of the airbox and the bottom chamber of the air box is totally sealed from the top section. Their is a wall in the middle of the box so no intake air will flow over or around the recifier anyway. I found this out tonight when I removed the airbox from the engine compartment and shined a flashlight through the opening on the top-side of the airbox. So Is your engine louder with the modified intake? Can you tell any difference in HP gain? Also photos would be really cool. Thanks for any info and all your help

The design may have changed, but I found that the divider in the air box actually had a 3" diameter hole joining the two chambers so air would flow in a serpentine fashion thru the intake box. I immediately noticed gains of about 3-4 mph and @ 3-400 rpms when I removed the restrictive stock intake set-up and went to very short 4" intakes. I've got them all pulled apart right now - doing the s/c's - but will post pics for you when reassembled. I had a 3" into 4" 90 degree elbow that clamps directly onto the s/c intake flange and protrudes out about 5" and then turns straight up 90 degrees about 12". On the end of those, I had K&N high flow filters. Now, I grabbed a couple billeted 4" adapters to clamp on the s/c intake flanges to remove the need for a tapered (4" down to 3") elbow, but am contemplating the same very short filtered intake set-up. Thinking about how to get more fresh air in there without risking too much water. Will require new holes, but haven't decided where yet. Pics may be a while as I forgot to order two seals for the s/c s and don't expect reassembly for about two weeks. Definitely one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information