2000 xp intermittent loss of spark

I have a 2000 xp that is losing spark intermittently. If I press the start button is will spark on both cylinders maybe twice. The spark is lost . If I keep spinning the engine over I can see spark come back intermittently.
    So far i have checked ye following.

All earths to engine and also in black ignition box. Some corrosion in the black box.
    Stator cup is correct and fitted correctly as per the manual
    Ign coils good
    Plug wires cut back.
    Wiring checked to mpem. All good
    Stator and trigger coil checked and good
    Mpem swapped and same problem
    Dess post changed and no difference
    Battery leads checked for corrosion

Anyone else have insight into what could be wrong here

+1
    If its both plugs doing the same I would check the ground to the engine on the front cover as this grounds the coils.Or run a new ground wire temporarily to see if it fixes it.
    If you have corrosion in the black box check that the coil brackets are clean and ground properly as this usually is the problem with intermittent spark with 99-02 xpls

thank you for the reply.
    I have also already tried everything you suggested and not had any success. I have worked on lots of these XP's but not had one get the better of me yet. This one is trying my patience.
    Going to swap over the entire black igmition box today and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    If its both plugs doing the same I would check the ground to the engine on the front cover as this grounds the coils.Or run a new ground wire temporarily to see if it fixes it.
    If you have corrosion in the black box check that the coil brackets are clean and ground properly as this usually is the problem with intermittent spark with 99-02 xpls

+1
    Your pick up maybe faulty in the mag housing then.Try swapping boxes first as this is the easiest. Report back and tell us how you went

Dont suppose you have an answer for my query here http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195574 before I swap out the boxes. I think I know the answer but just want it confirmed.
    Abviuosly one of the boxes has the coils connected wrong. As per manual I am guessing.

Fitted the spare electrical box today and spark is back. Abviously the corrosion was causing a problem eventhough I cleaned everything up.
    Engine was flooded with fuel from all the turning over.
    I had been told the engine had a recent reubuild.
    Eventually got the ski to start but sounded rough. Had it running on the hose for a few minutes and the hull started to fill with water. After search for the culprid I found that the drain hose at the back of cylinder was not connected. After a long search I found the hose tucked away in a corner behind the fuel tank with a plug in it. Abviously the person the rebuilt the engine could not find the location for the hose so decided to plug it. Lucky for the owner he did not run the ski after rebuild or he would have filled the hull.

So not knowing the exact history I removed the engine. Opened the crankcase to check the couterbalance shaft for was installed correctly. It was correct but no oil was added to balance shaft housing.
    All back together and leak tested perfect.

This ski (2000 XP) is also fitted with a R+D flame arrestor, so I assume the carb has been rejetted correclty. Anyone know the correct jet sizing and screw setting for this flame arrestor.

All help is appreciated.

Thread Information