+1

Dago Racing Crew has a critical question

Okay me and 97gpsleeper have the entire ski back together sealed everywhere. I look at the old transom and realize it is tapped and has a half inch straight barbed fitting in it that goes to the the jet works hose. New transom that I have in there of course has the stock 3/8 fitting in it. what are my options???? I do not want to pull the pump back out it is sealed and everything is perfect.....

+1
    I am not sure if I understand the problem.

Is it simply you concerned the 3/8 in line won't flow enough water?

This is a 3/8 in line coming off the pump right ?

+1
    That is correct.

+1
    The tansom that I removed had a 1/2 inch brass barbed fitting that was drilled and tapped in place of the stock 3/8 in fitting that comes on a new transom. That is the fitting that goes to my Jet works mod hose and to the strainer, the old one was half inch. I have the ski back together and I discovered this. I really don't want to take the ski back apart because everything has been reset and aligned perfect and the 5200 has already set up on everything. If this is going to be a water restriction to the jet works that will hurt my performance I will take it back down and drill and tap it. Just trying not to have to do that. Does anyone have any imput on this. Trying to go ride tommorrow. Thanks
    Last edited by TheDome; 02-24-2007 at 10:45 AM.

+1
    if the GP is the same as the GPR the exhaust pipe has water flow restriction holes which restrict how much water flows to the waterbox (on a GPR these holes are found in the last section of the stinger pipe)

so there is a good chance the 3/8 will flow enough water

what I did

I drilled additional holes in the exhaust pipe to increase the water flow, this way I knew I had too much water

then I added an in-line adjustable valve beside teh Jetworks valve, this allowed me to reduce the water flow, by fine tuning the water flow with the valve I was able to gain an extra 30 rpms more than where I was before the jetworks

I descibe this implementation on my ski (GPR) in this thread

http://rivaforums.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tp...4/m/9511019071

+1
    to directly answer your question, leave it as is and go ride tomorrow

if you are really worried just do my mod and you will be covered

+1
    First of all, I think its a G-D shame that you cant talk to the previous owner of the ski about your issues...

So they utilized the stock siphon thru-transom fitting for the Jetworks supply. Normally the outside fitting is 3/8" and the inside of the transom is 1/2".

Someone tapped the outside to 1/2" fitting. Now that you have a new transom plate, its back to the 3/8" outside. Right ? And your plate on the pump is tapped to an 1/4" NPT with a 1/2" feed hose ?

Just change the 90* fitting to a 3/8" or just use a new plate for the side of pump and drill and tap, to use a 3/8" x 1/8" NPT 90* barb fitting. Thats the was most boats are in the first place.

+1
    WFO, yes, the transom has been tapped to a 1/2", and the fitting coming off the strainer plate is 1/2". We could not convice our self that is was very critical that everything be 1/2", but wanted some feed back. Everything went so smooth, not a single problem. The pump shoe is sucked up high, the grate has been matched to the shoe with a dremel, we were feeling good about things and we ran into this problem. Thanks for the replies.

+1
    Yeah its no biggie. Remember, Island Racing and Jetworks sells a kit with a 3/8 thru hull fitting to use.

Also the valve itself is a 3/8, so it gets reduced down anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Yeah its no biggie. Remember, Island Racing and Jetworks sells a kit with a 3/8 thru hull fitting to use.

Also the valve itself is a 3/8, so it gets reduced down anyways.
    Rich beat me to it.

Thread Information