4 tec driveshaft installation: circlip & Floating (O-ringed) Rings

When installing the driveshaft on my 4tec (04 GTX LTD) I used the Seadoo spreader tool to pry the floating rings apart to expose the circlip groove for inserting the circlip, but I didn't use the PTO seal support tool (which absorbs the forward load of the spreader tool). Is this likely a "fatal" mistake? Have I likely done any damage to the engine side floating ring by not using the PTO support tool? Or does the PTO seal support just increase the distance the spreader tool forces the pump side floating ring back to reveal the circlip driveshaft groove for ease of circlip installation?

Thanks for any informed opinions!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rferrel1 View Post
    When installing the driveshaft on my 4tec (04 GTX LTD) I used the Seadoo spreader tool to pry the floating rings apart to expose the circlip groove for inserting the circlip, but I didn't use the PTO seal support tool (which absorbs the forward load of the spreader tool). Is this likely a "fatal" mistake? Have I likely done any damage to the engine side floating ring by not using the PTO support tool? Or does the PTO seal support just increase the distance the spreader tool forces the pump side floating ring back to reveal the circlip driveshaft groove for ease of circlip installation?

Thanks for any informed opinions!

Ron

I am in the process of removing the drive shaft as well... to combat the driveshaft moving backwards in the boat while pushing the metal hat forward to expose the circlip. I simply put a big nut down between the end of the shaft and impeller pump to take up the extra space... so that when pushing the hat backwards in the boat the shaft had no where to move back, thus not pulling at all on the PTO seal.

Question, do you have to remove the pto seal from the motor, or does the drive shaft slide out of the pto seal? Also does oil come out?

Engine has had repairs made and I'm reinstalling engine, so there's no oil to come out yet. The driveshaft freeling slides thru or out of the PTO seal, so I'm doubting if I do damage to the PTO seal side floating ring, but I think the the PTO seal support tool must be for the purpose of reducing the compression of the PTO boot and floating ring while causing the hull side floating ring to to compress more than it would if the engine side boot and floating ring compressed while using the spreader tool. I don't know if there's a downside to compressing the engine side boot/floating ring while using the spreader tool to compress the hull/pump side floating ring to reveal the driveshaft groove for the circlip.

oh gotcha... yeah i used a block of wood and a forked plank to move the hat backwards to expose the circlip... no pressure against the PTO seal.

Reading the manual it states that oil will come out of the PTO seal.... gah. I wonder how much.....

You are probably right that oil leakage prevention is the reason for using the PTO seal support tool. Makes sense, now that I think about it.

oh i ment it as oil will come out if you pull the shaft out without evacuating the oil from the PTO area.

+1
    You should be fine the PTO seal can float and is only held in place by the boot and depending on the attitude of the ski oil may or may not come out. Make sure you inspect the boot for any tares.

Thread Information