Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2005 rxp grate question

I went to fill in my ride plate holes with epoxy tonight. While I was under there I saw a piece of plastic bag stuck between the ride plate and the intake grate. I tried to dig it out, but I couldn't get it loose. So I started pulling my intake grate down. One of the bolts was different on the ride plate end, so I knew somebody had been in there before. The rear center bolt came out fine, but the port side with the brass insert pulled out.

I know this has to be a fairly common failure point. It would seem that just drilling it out and putting a nut and bolt in there would fix it, but that seems kind of half assed. So what is the proper repair. The starboard side had a threaded brass insert in it that was rigged into place, that unthreaded as well. So I need to repair both sides that had inserts in them.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Paul

+1
    Epoxy insert back in, get an R&D intake grate and girdle kit, Jerry sells them right here in the online store.. It won't ever pull out again!

Girdle
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=644

Grate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=580

Had to do the same with mine.. It's in there good now, mine stripped the center hole into the ride plate and had to tap it to next size up.. It's a great fix to a common problem, good luck!

TJ

+1
    I am missing one insert and the one I do have really needs to be replaced. I will look at it again tomorrow night after work. I'm just kind of pissed about the whole thing right now. The ski is mostly stock, minus a Kana intake and a free flow exhaust.

Any other solutions to this issue? How common is this?

Paul

+1
    just fabbed up a permenate fix for this you have to drill thru the shoe and get some 1/4x1 1/4 stainless elevator bolts. bend the head of the bolts to match the slope of the pump shoe they will never pull out again. the brass insert is a temporary fix imo especially if you plan on increasing speed. you can get some screw in brass inserts from fastenal if you plan on staying at stock speeds.

+1
    I was pissed too.. Found mine hanging down, and stripped the center bolt hole after an outing with the girlfriend on the back, it's not pretty when they rip off underway.. You'd be a lot more pissed if it came off while riding 60+ mph I'm sure others will chime in, but the solution I listed above is the best solution, or installing an 08+ X model ride plate that has the three bolt holes through the plate unlike the earlier models like ours, a much more timely and frustrating fix, Just go with the girdle kit and grate, it's easy and is a solid fix, many are running it, it's a must on our skis at high speeds

+1
    theres been guys who have pulled the inserts after they epoxied them in. if you drill thru the shoe you never have to worry about it agian

+1
    So you inserted the elevator bolt from the topside of the shoe and used a nut on the bottom. Where did you source the elevator bolts from? Fastenal or just a local bolt house? I like this idea a lot better than the brass insert reinstall, plus it gets me going before the weekend. We typically ride at least one day on the weekend if not both.

Paul

+1
    I plan on getting a grate and girdle. Just not right now. My ski is mostly stock at this point, but I do plan on making it faster, just not this week. LOL.

Paul

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    I plan on getting a grate and girdle. Just not right now. My ski is mostly stock at this point, but I do plan on making it faster, just not this week. LOL.

Paul
    yeah inset the bolts from the top of the shoe. the only place that had them was fastenal there should be one local to you 1/4x 1 1x4 fits perfect. get some cheap 1/4 nuts top put on the bolt threads to hold in a vise and gently tap the head to angle the bolt so it sits at an angle with the shoe. there is no drag because the bolt head is flat and wide they will never pull out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    theres been guys who have pulled the inserts after they epoxied them in. if you drill thru the shoe you never have to worry about it agian
    The insert won't pull out with the girdle kit installed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information