Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Getting a better grip

Working on finding the right sponsons for my stx15. Starting with worx. It appears to have a deeper bite. The conditions on logan martin go from glass to washtub. BBL.

+1
    The new sponsons(mounted at stern/deep setting) have a greater stability for chop and cross wake of course. But for this rec user, I am floored by the smoothness in handling. I'll take the loss in speed(2mph or so) in trade for the confidence in rough terrain. Still have the ride plate and intake to install. Anxious to see the results ,but as my luck goes, have to wait out the Talledega weekend. Just crazy around here when that happens.

+1
    Installed a R&D plate. Covered counter bores w/JB water weld. Inserted some nylon string into holes enough to cover up cap screws, before the JB of course. Got my 2 mph back! Love the 'on plane' response time( about half a heart beat or so).
    Couldn't be happier. Right? Well I could live the rest of my days with this ski 'as is'. But thanks to the storms we get around here, and this forum JK,( much online time) I'm hooked on doing THE exhaust mod. Still got my research to do on the small details, i.e. baffle hole sizes, tubing radii, and how the '05 tail pipe will mount to my '10 hull. Can't wait to get started on this project.
    Much of my info has come from Cerebral, page #6 in 'tech tips and info'.
    Will post pics along the way with the details.
    In the meantime, gone ridin'. Semper Float.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Here is a secret, find a stx-r exhaust tip and an 05 12/15f waterbox. The stx-r tip is 2.75 inch in diameter and will fit your hull, the earlier waterbox has a larger exit.

Sean

+1
    Set on using my WB. Thought about relocating holes on the '05 to fit(since I now own it
    ).I guess I'm just enjoying the fab work that's involved. But now I see your point. I will pursue that stx-r tip. Thanks again Sean.

+1
    If you want to use yours, my recommendation would be to copy the length of the existing outlet but with a larger pipe, 2.25 inch is stock I think for 2005 and 2.5-3 will work, just keep it the same length and you won't have issues. I have a spare box with the front cut off I'd send you from my 04 if you want to cut the front off yours and use the rear of mine. I'm not using it.

Sean

+1
    I'm going to copy the WB outlet for certain. Just on the rail about the baffles. BTW, a huge thanks for the offer on the '04 WB. Will consider that option as well. Also, are the baffles on the '04 well suited(no drilling) for this mod?

+1
    I have not cut both open to be able to say, I know the inlet is the same but the outlet is smaller on the 10 that the 04-07.

Sean

+1
    Have seen one jpg on this forum that had baffles that were pretty restrictive. I'm going the thought that equal volume in/equal out would be fine. Or is back pressure needed?

+1
    Back pressure is never needed you just want to keep the exhaust velocity up, fast gas stays hot and easy to move, if the gas cools it gets more dense and harder to move out. You can swiss cheese the baffles but don't remove them and don't shorten the tube.

Sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information