Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rebuild went great using Bill's recommendations

Thought I would pay respect to Bill by letting everyone know, following his guidance, the rebuild of my carbs, installation of new jets and t-handle adjusters worked great. The GPR is back on the water this year and running good. Plugs have a nice golden color and she jumps out of the water when the main jets kick in. Unfortunately I have a water leak somewhere that I can't find. I plan to remove the gunnel rubber, seal the seams, pull the ride plate and make sure everything is good under there. Eventually I'll run it up on the trailer and put the back end in the water and looks for leaks that way. RIP Bill!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbs.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	299333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rebuild.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	299332  

+1
    Bill will live on forever through this forum and lives he's touched!

Glad to hear ski is running keep us posted on the leak.

3. +1 by:

Doing the same to my xl1200 Limited. When you installed the T handle adjusters they came with a rubber O-ring and that was it. Is the O-ring the only thing you put on the T handle adjuster before you screwed it in? The mikuni diagram shows a spring, metal washer and O-ring? Are the spring and metal washer necessary?

+1
    I just did the same thing. What other mods do you have on the ski? With the 110 pilots/120 main jets, my idle/low end is still a bit rich. Floods easily when cold. I am just over 1 turn out on the lows. Going to try closing them a bit and see if it helps. I also removed the accelerator pump but left the chokes intact.

Fill the hull with water from a garden hose and see where the leak is. The only thing is the carbs sit so low in this ski that you may get water into them this way. Just be prepared to clear it out. Mine has a leak on the port side towards the rear of the gunwhale where the upper and lower halves of the hull are bonded. I removed the gunwhale, sealed the entire seam with 4200, and then put the gunwhale back.

I re-used the spring on the t-handle adjusters. It keeps tension on the adjuster to prevent it from moving on its own.

The only mods are D plate, chip and pre-mix. I used Bills recipe with chokes in tact, disconnected the accelerator pump and did the carb drilled pressure return balancing modification. Rebuilt the carbs yesterday and when I was putting the t handle adjusters in I noticed they sent me 4 high and 2 lows. So hopefully I will have everything back together by next weekend. Stripped the bottom threads on the PV under the actuator bracket so had to helicoil that. Cant wait for this project to end and get back on the water. Thanks for the info.

Hey, What is the carb drilled pressure return balancing modification your talking about, haven't heard of that? What is the procedure {why and how to} Thanks for your time!

I just did the same rebuild on my 2001 xlt 1200carbs. I managed to successfully rebuild and re-jet 2 of the 3 carbs. My middle carb was unsuccessful in that I was unable to remove the stock low speed adjuster screw (I bought all new t handles). I tried everything (a few days soaked in pb blaster and a propane torch) to no avail. I even had an extra set of three carbs from another xlt 1200 sitting around and ALL 3 low adjuster screws were seized as well!!! What are the chances! I ended up buying another complete set of 3 carbs from another xlt1200 on eBay a few hours ago so I'm hoping that at least one of them has a non siezed low speed adjuster screw. I shall see in a few days when they arrive in mail.

Rookiepwc
    Sorry for my ignorance.. Who is this bill person that is no longer with us?

RIP BILL brought my ripping 48 mm novi from BILL ran great right out of the box THANKS BILL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information