Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Naturally Aspirated Race Classes

Let me begin by saying I have personally observed several races over the past year and I realized that there is a problem in the IJSBA with the way that the Naturally Aspirated 4-Stroke skis are handled as far as a class structure goes. I do not mean this as an attack but rather an invitation for suggestions and hopefully some changes to get new racers in cheaply and safely.

(Anyone who is more informed than me please feel free to comment and correct any mistakes I have made)

Currently there are a few ways that Naturally Aspirated 4-Strokes are handled in the IJSBA class structure.

NA Spec class

This is made up of Naturally Aspirated 4-stroke skis built to stock class specs and 2-stroke powered skis built to limited class specs

4-Stroke Runabout class

This is made up of both Supercharged and Naturally Aspirated runabout skis and it is offered in 3 flavors currently Stock class spec, Limited class spec, and Open class spec. It is important to note that to use an Open class 4 stroke runabout that is not in a specifically a Naturally Aspirated Open class you have to hold an expert or pro card. The wording allows Naturally Aspirated Open class riders not to have an expert or pro card so long as no Supercharged open class boats to be run in it. This is obviously for safety reasons as a Supercharged or Turbocharged open class boat could run 90+ The problem here is that the NA skis (even the VXR) just don't have the same power as the big supercharged skis in stock class and in limited or open the gap gets bigger, it is easy to add more boost on an already supercharged or turbocharged ski, if you do the same on a NA ski you are immediately classed as open. In limited class a limited STX15f has nearly no hope of beating a limited class Ultra 300.

2-Stroke Runabout class

As per the official IJSBA rulebook page 13
    "5.5.3 In addition to four-stroke-specific class, four-stroke watercraft may be
    classified as compatible in two-stroke classes, provided the following:
    1) Normally aspirated and turbocharged/supercharged Stock-class fourstroke
    watercraft may compete in Stock, Limited, Open and Modified
    two-stroke classes.
    2) Normally aspirated Open-class four-stroke watercraft may compete in
    Limited, Open and Modified two-stroke classes.
    3) Four-strokes up to 1100cc may compete in 850cc two-stroke classes;
    4) Four-strokes up to 2000cc may compete in 1300cc two-stroke classes."

The problem with the above rule is that most race events now do not offer specific 2-Stroke classes anymore.

My opinion

I would love to see a dedicated Naturally Aspirated class that offers stock, limited, and open class setups but as the racing industry sits I don't see that happening any time soon. That being said,
    If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion for the NA ski classes, allow NA 4 stroke skis to class down one class in the standard 4 stroke classes. What I mean to say is allow a NA 4 stroke open boat to run in standard 4 stroke limited, allow a NA 4 stroke limited boat to run in standard 4 stroke stock class. Obviously this is not something that could happen overnight but in my opinion it opens up for more exciting racing and would expand the offerings for people like me. In my opinion it would also make the NA skis competitive. For instance a stock class legal 15f will run about 65-68mph while a stock class ultra 300 or even 250 will run 70+. A limited class 15f will run 68-70mph while a limited class ultra 250 or ultra 300 will run 75-77. If you allow the spec class to run NA 4 stroke stock it would be competitive against the 2 stroke limited skis, if you allow a NA 4 stroke limited stx-15f to run with a stock class ultra 300 it would have a chance.

What do you guys think about what I have said?

I am admittedly biased because I have an Naturally Aspirated STX-15f that is built to open class and I don't have a class to race in as it sits now.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sean

+1
    That sounds like a great idea. I think letting the NA skis to race at the next lower level would create a lot more interesting races. I don't have a NA ski to race, but if there's any way I can help make this happen, let me know.

+1
    Just spread the word about this post, that is the best thing you can do to drum up interest in this.

Sean

+1
    The N/A runabout class was brought on about 2 or 3 years ago by the Frame Brothers from WV. They created the class and presented it to the IJSBA back then. They raced it for 2 years I believe and then got out of racing. That I know of there is only 1 person who runs the entire National Tour (all stops, every round) in the N/A R/A class..

They do allow limited 2 strokes to race in the same class and a decently tuned XPL will kill a VXR..

+1
    That is the NA spec class I mentioned, it is backwards in my opinion for exactly that reason.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The N/A runabout class was brought on about 2 or 3 years ago by the Frame Brothers from WV. They created the class and presented it to the IJSBA back then. They raced it for 2 years I believe and then got out of racing. That I know of there is only 1 person who runs the entire National Tour (all stops, every round) in the N/A R/A class..

They do allow limited 2 strokes to race in the same class and a decently tuned XPL will kill a VXR..
    The class is growing. This year Rob G and Clay B are going to battle it out on the tour. Both on a VXR

smokey.....

i see you have said you have an open class boat. what kind of mods do you have, just the major ones please. and how long have you been racing? and do you currently hold an ijsba card? if so what classification is it? just trying to wrap my head around this. i read about this on Facebook and was curious.
    Last edited by bystander; 04-24-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: adding question

Banned User
    +1
    Come to California DJSA has a spot for you!

+1
    Thanks Mike, the Texas Outlaws also follow the DJSA classes and I love it, I will be running 2 races with them this year for sure. To the unknown user "bystander" it would basically be easier to say what would be limited class legal. I have aftermarket pistons, air trim tabs, and an aftermarket exhaust (those are the biggies). I hold a IJSBA novice card currently but I need to renew it as it expires in June. This will be my first full season assuming someone pulls a class out for me.

Here is hoping!

Sean

+1
    Sean, good luck on the line this year. Here's to racing, where a chain link fence, shovel, and 4 wheeler aren't a part of the game!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information