97 GP1200 - Rebuild, Buy Rebuilt, or Sell?

Last year my GP1200 was acting up toward the end of the summer. I finally got around to pulling the engine out and apart. Low and behold, the middle sleeve is cracked from the top to the bottom.

Pricing:
    $695 for top end kit including new cylinders
    $945 for rebuilt engine with 1 year warranty
    Sell it for? What is a GP1200 with a blown engine worth? I cut out and did a rough repair on a crack in the hull last year - looks fine but was repaired from the outside and not from the inside...

I have never rebuilt an engine but feel confident I can do it right. I do all of my own maintenance but haven't ever rebuilt one. I know some mechanics with the tools I would need that I don't already have therefore I don't expect the cost to go up dramatically from purchasing more tools.

Anyways - I am looking for some thoughts on the subject. Simply put, what would you do?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
    -Chad

+1
    A GP1200 with a blown engine is worth about $500 or less...but you might be able to find someone to buy it for $800 to $1000. Depending on how bad that crack in the hull is, it might be time to retire this ski and move on to another one.
    rebuilding the engine is can of worms being this thing is 16 years old now. You start out thinking you're spending $600 or $700 for a top end but then you find more problems. You start thinking...I don't wanna put this $600 top end on only to have it fail because the crank is worn out, the carbs need work, or the cranks seals are old and bad...thats a waste of $600. So then you end up buying more and more and more stuff to "restore" this thing and eventually you've sunk $2000 to $2500 in it. There's nothing wrong with that if you wanna do that, plenty of people do and enjoy fixing up their old ski

So what about just buying the rebuilt engine and sending this core in? I think i would be about $1300 in after shipping and gaskets. The crack in the hull is mostly repaired at this point. It's sealed and has new fiberglass on it, just not the prettiest thing in the world... What kind of can of "worms" do you think i might get myself into just swapping out a rebuilt engine? That seems fairly safe.

Although, if I get $500 for it as is, I can put that towards something newer... but in that case I am looking at $2500...

Thanks for the input!

+1
    Ive got a 99 gp1200 I just rebuilt the engine in myself. Wondering what to do with it, part it or sale it whole. Hard to decide. Wanna make the most I can on it, either way.
    Good luck to ya

+1
    If I am not mistaken, I have seen top end kits youre talking about for around $450, Seen one on Ebay I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, I have seen top end kits youre talking about for around $450, Seen one on Ebay I do believe.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111058297229...witem=&vxp=mtr

well this guy does this one but only bores them... I just asked for a quote for re-sleeving but I don't think he can compete with an already re-sleeved cylinder exchange..

The others are ~$700

I just gave away a 97 with a cracked hull for free. Take the internal out and get a 98 or 99 thats running for $2000...thats how much I would sell my 98 running for. No cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by ucf_motorcycle View Post
    I just gave away a 97 with a cracked hull for free. Take the internal out and get a 98 or 99 thats running for $2000...thats how much I would sell my 98 running for. No cracks.

Take the internal out? Internal what? I might not know the lingo

thanks!

+1
    Assuming hes meaning removing everything out of the hull ?!

Thread Information