+1

My Jetski Audio System - Shark Motorcycle Audio

Hey guys,

I have been trying to get my Jetski ready for the summer and something my girlfriend and I discussed was putting some sort of sound system on the jetski. I did quite a but of searching and found a few companys that made Jetski Specific systems but for a pretty penny. I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank and didn't involve cutting 4" holes in the foot well area. I stumbled upon Shark Motorcycle Audio and decided to go with the simple dual speakers with built in 100 watt amp that allows connection via 3.5mm headphone jack to any phone, ipod, mp3 etc. This setup is supposed to be waterproof (completely submersible) although it doesn't appear to really allow complete submersion.

Now I did see that they have a complete setup with waterproof sealed amp, connections, speakers and a small little control box that is completely sealed. This setup allows FM audio, USB, SD Card, Headphone jack and Bluetooth audio connection and is fairly small in size and decent in price and even better in price if you can win one of the eBay auctions.

Upon getting the speakers in the mail I immediately hooked them up and gave them a test run, they do get fairly loud and are pretty clear. Overall I think they will be just fine when running out at WOT, so this morning I started the install and realized it was more complicated than I expected it to be. They come with handle bar "P" clamps that will need to be removed along with the hardware for mounting the P clamps. Of course in order to do this you must disassemble the speakers and desolder all the wires, run everything through your mount holes and then resolder.

I figured I would share how I went about doing things and give a short video of them playing after hooked up I am snapping photos as I progress and will post everything up shortly when I am finished.

+1
    Start by pulling the rear view mirrors off so you can removed the mirrors from the housing, there is a hidden screw behind the mirror you have to remove. Aswell there are two stainless screws on the back side of the mounting area of the housing that will need to come out.

Once those are out I mounted the housing back on the ski handy with two of the bolts, measured from the top bolt across to the bottom corner bolt to find center and drilled a 31/64 hole. I drilled through the inside through to the housing, this hole must be big enough to allow the speaker hookups to fit through.

After that hole was drilled I measured to find center on top of the housing and drilled a 7/16 hole to allow mounting of the speaker.

Disassemble the speaker by removing the three small stainless screws from the grill and pop the speaker out. Desolder the red and black wire from the speaker, remove the wire and all the hardware. Route the wire through a nut and lock washer then through the inside of the housing and back through the speaker. Resolder the red and black wire and put your speaker back together. Bolt the speaker down, put your mirror back in and remount the housing.

Same basic steps apply for the other side except you have many more wires to desolder and resolder. Take a picture and even write down the order of the wires as to not forget how they go back on. Route your wire through the housing, nut and lock washer, speaker housing and pull all the slack through. Make sure everything looks right, otherwise you will have to desolder if you missed a nut or washer or routed through the wrong hole.

Resolder everything and reassemble the mirror, next you will want to find out where to tie into. Im still trying to figure out the wire harness right now, I will post up the final results when I am done.

Short Video

So far the only downfall I see to mounting on the rear view mirrors is putting a cover on, it may not fit right with the extra height of the speakers. Atleast your not drilling into the hull/structural part of the ski though.
    Last edited by override; 04-25-2013 at 10:08 PM.

+1
    A little update on this, yesterday went to the lake for a day of relaxation and tuning. I found that using my phone to play music the speakers were hard to hear at mid to top speeds and while coming onto plane from the motor revving up. With the Ipod the system is louder so I will bring it out with me the next time I go to the lake and see what the results are like.

So how is it? I just bought the same system for my 1996 XP. Actually have two different speaker styles and one sounds better then the other. I think I am going to mount mine onto the handle bars for now to see how direct they are.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    pretty cool install, but you're not worried about a big rush of water wiping the speakers off the top of the mirror(s)?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    pretty cool install, but you're not worried about a big rush of water wiping the speakers off the top of the mirror(s)?
    Now that's the kind of thing I was worried about. I bought small 100w speakers for rent and mounted them on my Jetski. Went for a little roam on water and caught with this same problem. Purchased some insulation for the speaker to cover up but then that ruined the whole point of having them mounted there in the first place. Any solutions?
    PS: The post by override is great. Pretty neat and comprehensive.
    Last edited by RachelLocke; 08-31-2013 at 06:02 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelLocke View Post
    Now that's the kind of thing I was worried about. I bought small 100w speakers for rent and mounted them on my Jetski. Went for a little roam on water and caught with this same problem. Purchased some insulation for the speaker to cover up but then that ruined the whole point of having them mounted there in the first place. Any solutions?
    PS: The post by override is great. Pretty neat and comprehensive.
    Have not been on here in minute...Not that it probably matters anymore but to answer your questions/concerns. I had this ski up until last year and never had an issue with the speakers - breaking off, unscrewing, getting to wet or not working. They powered on each and everytime without hesitation, the only thing I did not care for was that at speed they were barely loud enough to hear. We mostly rode short distances to our favorite beaching spots and would drink and listen to music, which these were perfect for.

As for powering them, which I don't seem to of ever posted my final hookup...I made a tab from some aluminum stock I had, put a switch on it and mounted it just under the cowling on the front hatch, right behind the sto area. I then just ran 18 or 20 gauge wire to the battery, connected direct, before I launched the ski I would hit the switch and left it on throughout the day until I trailered it up the ramp to head home.

Thread Information