Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 sl 750 - how hard is it to change starter and bendix

How hard is it to change the 95 sl 750 starter and bendix? The shop quoted me 800!!!

+1
    Starter shouldnt be bad. The bendix though...need to pull flywheel I do believe

+1
    The guys here told me remove two bolts and slide the starter out Its more of a wrestling match than anything.

how hard is the task/ i have a bendix and starter. is there a how to for it by any chance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectraBrite View Post
    how hard is the task/ i have a bendix and starter. is there a how to for it by any chance?
    The starter is simple. Need to remove the flywheel covers and flywheel to access the bendix. Once you get the two bolts out of the starter, use a large screwdriver to pry between the starter and the inner flywheel housing.... Its a time consuming job....

I think it is just easier to pull the motor and do the starter/bendix then fight it in the ski. You do it once or twice and you can get the motor out, repaired, and back in in a day. Just pull the exhaust, (leave the carb rack on), disconnect fuel, remove the pump/driveshaft, disconnect the engine from the ebox, remove the gas tank, remove the engine mounts and you and your kindest friend lift er out with some rope/ratchet straps.

The flywheel isnt hard, you just use a balancer/hub puller rented from any auto parts store, a torch if it wont come off, and possibly a impact gun if it is really being a pita. just use some lock tight and a impact or holding tool and ratchet to crank it back down.

and while the motor is out you have a good oppertunity to go through everything and clean the hull, look for chafed/aging hoses, retorque/loctite the bed plate, etc.

and 800 bucks isnt insane, it is alot of labor
    Last edited by K447; 04-26-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: flywheel/stator

It was 800 and didnt include parts, and to me to spend that much is impractical. I just dont have the funds so I will have to attempt it myself. I have the parts just wish I had a guide or how to on what Im doing. Im pretty good if I have guidance

+1

I had to remove part of my exhaust to get to the starter out, If I would have done that right away I would have saved an hour or more of struggling. I have never replaced the Bendix so I cannot help you there. Does the flywheel have to come off to replace the Bendix?

If no one answers this question you may need to make the question a thread to get the answer.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    ... Does the flywheel have to come off to replace the Bendix?

If no one answers this question you may need to make the question a thread to get the answer.
    Answers and some hints already in this thread. See my signature links, and the PolarisTech and FAQ forums, for more info and links.

Starter can be removed after shifting exhaust out of the way. The starter motor slides rearward after the two bolts holding it in place are removed. The starter motor snout is often very snug inside the flywheel housing, so it can take some prying and swearing to get it to slide rearwards. Eventually it comes out. Easier to do when the engine is out, of course.

Removing the Bendix requires that the flywheel cover and the flywheel be removed. This can be done with the engine in the hull, but is way easier on the workbench. See my signature links for the 'rope trick' to hold the crankshaft still while you remove the flywheel nut.

It requires a stout puller to get the flywheel to let go of the crank shaft taper. Many threads discussing flywheel removal, search and you should find.

There is a small spring and washer(s) on the front end of the Bendix shaft, inside the cover. Do not lose them when you remove the flywheel cover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information