1996 Sea Doo XP Pre-Purchase Inspection

Hello all. FNG here on the forum. A little about me. Had the first ever Yamaha Waveruuner/500 CC 1988. Then had the Waverunner III, then a 1996 Sea Doo XP. My old man sold the XP while I was traveling Mexico one summer. I used to own an operate a water sports company (parasailing/skis/kayaks/boat rentals). I have been in boating all my life, and work for a boat manufatcurer for the last 10 years.

I have always wanted to get my old ski back, and think I have found an operational one with a trailer for the right price. It is currently winterized and they are going to summerize it and shoot a video of it for me.

I had very few issues with my old ski/XP. I did some research and it seems that the trim gauge and fuel gauge often are not working. I assume the fuel gauge is due to ethanol and or a combination of a bad sender?

What else should I look for? What should compression #'s be? I will be driving a significant distance to get the ski. I plan on making an offer over the phone and putting down a deposit (refundable) and if all goes well, I will bring it home?

I am also a senior member on www.thehulltruth.com If anyone ever needs advice on boats, feel free to check me out over there on send me an email here/PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to GH.

When you look over this ski, if it has gray fuel lines with the word TEMPO printed on them, they are going to have to be replaced and likely the carb rebuilt also. Do a search here for tempo fuel lines for details.

That should knock a couple of hundred off the price ( minimum)

Fuel senders are a common fail. Often the magnet falls out and to the bottom of the tank or there is a fuse on the sender board that pops if the ski is jumped.

trim often fails due to water intrusion into the control box at the rear of the ski. $100+ to replace the motor

compression should be within 10 pounds on each jug. hard to say what a good number of a 96 would be..

Stick your nose up in the grate and into the pump with a good flashlight to check for signs of rock ingestion/prop damage, big gouges on the bottom of the hull.

You can't check the hours on that model without a code reader..it's more about the signs that the ski was well cared for then anything else

of course steering shouldn't be stiff or binding, same thing with the throttle. Fuel valve should turn smoothly.

Don't feel pot committed if you drove a long way..sellers count on that and use it against you.

be prepared to walk away

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    welcome to GH.

When you look over this ski, if it has gray fuel lines with the word TEMPO printed on them, they are going to have to be replaced and likely the carb rebuilt also. Do a search here for tempo fuel lines for details.

That should knock a couple of hundred off the price ( minimum)

Fuel senders are a common fail. Often the magnet falls out and to the bottom of the tank or there is a fuse on the sender board that pops if the ski is jumped.

trim often fails due to water intrusion into the control box at the rear of the ski. $100+ to replace the motor

compression should be within 10 pounds on each jug. hard to say what a good number of a 96 would be..

Stick your nose up in the grate and into the pump with a good flashlight to check for signs of rock ingestion/prop damage, big gouges on the bottom of the hull.

You can't check the hours on that model without a code reader..it's more about the signs that the ski was well cared for then anything else

of course steering shouldn't be stiff or binding, same thing with the throttle. Fuel valve should turn smoothly.

Don't feel pot committed if you drove a long way..sellers count on that and use it against you.

be prepared to walk away
    Thanks for the response. I will definitely check out those items. They are holding pretty firm on thier price, and I really cannot find any others closer to me. Thy are being a little difficult to work with. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks,

Stunnaman

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    difficult to work with eh?..must be one of those really rare special edition skis with the gold plated impeller

"not bad for a ski that's almost 20 years old"

"yeah,we're looking for ( fill it in) thousands.

pull this out:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1996...0153950/Values

Gee..the book value is $960 in average condition and say the trailer doesn't need tires, bunks or paint..a good single can get $400+ so let's say the negotiating starts at $1400...

BUT

it without a doubt needs to have the fuel system brought up to current condition, and that's gonna cost at least $300 ( news flash, a 97 xp that needed fuel lines and carbs rebuilt just rolled outta here..bill $525..ok a 97 model is a little tricky comprted to an old hull xp).

Seats torn to hell..another $150

now position it in the "half of" mode as you certainly don't expect a ski with a newly redone seat and carbs for the same money..so you knock off half of what the expected refurbishing will be and offer that number. I'll eat some of that cost..but I'll give you $1200 "cash money" ( emphasis on "cash") right now and you'll never hear from me again

if they balk...just pull the wad of cash ( helps to have lots of $20's so it looks fat" out of your pocket and say..well. I was a serious buyer with cash in hand. good luck!

and WALK AWAY

People for some reason think thier old boats are worth far more then they actually are.

Case in point..a couple of really nice polaris skis came thru here last week..it's unfortunate, but I couldn't get a loan on them for flipping. Bank showed me the current NADA dealer loan book. The skis were valued at under $500 each..even at $1000 each I couldn't touch em, they guy wanted $4200 for the two 10 year ol skis and a pretty nice trailer. He laughed when I told him what the book value was, but yanno..that's what I have to go by.

I'm waiting to see how long they sit on the used car lot in town with that pricetag on em...likley the entire season.

are you in some isolated market where there is only ten skis on the entire island? ( and I'm NOT talking about long island either)

Around here skis are thrashed and bashed to death, pass thru relatives hands like old furniture and THEN when somebody needs rent money they hose em off and try to get big money for em. Just doesn't work here...at least with me.

Walking is one of the bet negotiation tools around..often I'll get a final offer right when I get into my truck and fake getting a phone call. You gotta work it like the old man on hardcore pawn...

OK you want 5k?..what will you really take for em?..2k?

these negotiting tips brought to you by:

Thread Information