Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought a 2004 Virage I need some tips

Hello Guys,

I just bought a 2004 Virage for 1500 and Im new to Polaris. I had a 97 seadoo GS which never gave me any problems and i wanted to know if there is anything i should watch in this machine.

It runs good the only thing is that the display is a bit damaged although i can still see the gas and oil marks.

Can i still get parts for it? How reliable is this machine? Do you think i made a good purchase?

Thank you for your help.

Not everybody at the same time please!!

Banned User
    +1
    New (used) displays are relatively easy to find. Parts are out there, some new from Polaris, others are only available used. The Virage I is a very fuel efficient ride. You should enjoy it. Read up on the fuel injected models in the tech tips section of the forum. Should be very reliable once everything has been gone through and checked out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luichi787 View Post
    Not everybody at the same time please!!
    I must have missed this thread somehow...

See my signature links for some common maintenance items. See the Ficht section.

thank you guys until now is running fine we just changed the wear ring today.
    The display is acting up but it runs smooth. I read that if the display is acting up you should disconect it. I have done this and then the ski does not start.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luichi787 View Post
    thank you guys until now is running fine we just changed the wear ring today.
    The display is acting up but it runs smooth. I read that if the display is acting up you should disconect it. I have done this and then the ski does not start.
    The MFI display has a security function that can be bypassed if you want to start the engine without the display. See my signature links, in the MFD/MFI section.

Why not just replace the failing display with a good working unit?

i bought what it was supposed to be a good working unit but it comes on and off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luichi787
    ... 2004 Virage I runs good but the display comes on and off and when the steering wheel is turned to the right the ski shuts off.

Is there a way to verify the computer and check if its damaged?
    Something is wrong with the wiring. You need to figure out what the steering is rubbing or moving and why that is affecting the electrical system.

You may have damaged wire insulation or wires that are internally broken. Or connectors that are not mating properly.

You need the electrical system to be 100% reliable, regardless of motion from the steering or bouncing of the hull when riding.

Disconnect and check every connector that is anywhere near the steering system, and visually inspect all the wiring. Use a multi-meter to verify wire integrity as necessary.

Perfect! thanks for the advice ill check that today

Ok, i have already checked the wiring and took i for a ride yesterday.
    It starts right up with no problems (displays still comes on and off) runs good and after a while it bogs out.
    If its restarted runs good and same thing happens again sometimes takes a little longer.
    i was thinking it might be spark plugs but why would it start perfectly and take off and then bog out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information