+1

Opinions on a 2008 RXT X

I'm thinking about buying a 2008 RXT X 215hp that the local dealer has for sale. Anything specific to check before purchase ? I know my way around the 2 strokes but the 4 strokes are new to me.

The price is fair for the condition it has 109 hrs, the supercharger was done at this dealership at 100hrs and the impeller is new, still has the parts number sticker on it. It has some dock rash on the front by the hood the bottom hull has some marks in it, I have seen a lot worse. I'm not worried about the cosmetic stuff I want to make sure it's mechanically in good condition.

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    how much are they asking for it? IF, it's an RXT-X, it's 255hp, not 215.

Take a flash light, lay on your back under the ski, and look through the intake grate towards the prop. Look at the gel coat in the pump tunnel, and look for cracks. This is a "known issue". Mine had the cracks, and, under
    Warranty-SeaDoo paid to have my pump tunnel re-enforced. In my opinion, this is a must!!! If the ski hasn't had the pump tunnel re-enforced, then you need to deduct whatever it will cost to have that done.
    If it's at a PWC dealer-they should already know about this, and should be able to provide you with an estimate. NOTE: this is for the RXT-X 255 model, only.

Some other things to look at-was it ran only in fresh water? Any corrosion? When was the battery replaced?(they only last about 2 years). Check the pump liner-was it replaced when the impeller was replaced? Why was the impeller replaced?
    Has the coolant system been flushed, and new coolant put into the system?
    Pull the hose going into the inter-cooler, and take a good look inside there for any damage or signs of leakage/corrosion.

My boat has 191 hours on it. The only maintenance I've ever done was; replace the battery once. Had the prop tweaked(still on the original prop). replaced the pump liner. Had the pump tunnel re-enforced. OH, and changed the oil and spark plugs a few times-that's it.
    I have an R&D intake grate(gained about 2.5mph in speed-and it handles better), R&D sponsons(love those-boat stays hooked up well in the turns, and they are not as "grabby" as the stock sponsons), R&D free-flow exhaust, and the R&D blow off valve. Top speed when the temps are around 70 degree's, is right around 72mph. In the summer it drops off by about 1mph.
    I'm still amazed that my boat, with the hours it has on it, still achieves the exact same top speed now, as it did when it was brand new(had the same parts on it then-put them on just after 10 hours). Nothing breaks, nothing needs to be fiddled with-just put gas in it, and go(it really likes Premium-and eats a lot of it).

+1
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was wrong it's not an X it's an RXT 215HP, red deck, white hood. Asking price is $7,200 I was going to offer $6,500 that's probably high compared to the prices I see in the US, I'm in Canada and this is a decent price for this area. The same dealer has a pair of 09s they are asking $8,500 each.

Don't know about fresh or salt water use, given my area I would say salt water for a majority of the hours. The engine bay was very clean no signs of corrosion anywhere. I will check the intercooler as you suggested.

I also found a nice 2005 GTX SC with 80hrs asking price is $5,500. I will probably go see it sometime next week, my concern with an 05 is the exhaust valve corrosion problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006 GTX LTD - 2008 RXT 003.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	299625  

+1
    Be sure to check the 08 to ensure it has metal washers, some of the early 08's still had ceramic washers iirc. Also the 05 you are looking at would've had ceramic washers from factory, that coupled with the exhaust valve issues, I'd say it is worth the little extra to go the 08. Good luck.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Be sure to check the 08 to ensure it has metal washers, some of the early 08's still had ceramic washers iirc. Also the 05 you are looking at would've had ceramic washers from factory, that coupled with the exhaust valve issues, I'd say it is worth the little extra to go the 08. Good luck.
    Not necessarily true-ALL X boats had the metal washers.

To the OP-ever been to Lake Havasu City, AZ? Got a trailer? My 2008 RXT-X 191? hours on it(I can have the SC rebuilt for around $300), has the depth finder installed(that cost a lot of$$), and has only been ridden in fresh water(Lake Havasu), all it's life. It's been garaged when not ridden. BUT, I'm keeping the trailer......
    Also, about the hours-it does more harm than good for these boats to sit. So, while you may find one with low hours on it-keep in mind that if you're looking at a 2005-that's 8 years old-and with low hours, you need to look at the seals, valves, valve guides, etc.

You can PM me for more info if you're interested....and, I can take pictures, etc. I have all maintenance "records", and the dates and times when all maintenance was done. AND, my boat also already has a GPS mount on the glove box lid, for the Garmin E-Trex(which I might just throw in with the deal-since they're only $99).

+1
    No, Yes, Maybe !

The hours don't scare me if it's in good condition, PM sent.

I have been checking craigslist in cities down the west coast and prices in the US are cheaper I have to decide if it's worth making a road trip.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    No, Yes, Maybe !

The hours don't scare me if it's in good condition, PM sent.

I have been checking craigslist in cities down the west coast and prices in the US are cheaper I have to decide if it's worth making a road trip.
    PM replied too. And, I live 5-minutes from being on Lake Havasu-so you're welcome to a test ride.

Thread Information