Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Someone screwed up the bottom of the hull on the RXP

Sorry for the new threads. Well I bought this 05 RXP and im going thru it correcting some issues and now im on to this Big issue. Someone somewhere down the line of owner ship decided to paint this RXP. Well they did a horrible job and the bottom of the hull is what im worried about the most as I love speed. The whole underneath is either flaking off or is the paint is pitted. How should I go about fixing and repainting it. Should i try to sand down to the gelcoat and re buff, or should I sand it all down and repaint with a 2 part urethane paint??

+1
    Delaminaton?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Delaminaton?
    That's my first thought!

+1
    No i dont think its delimitation, its a really cheap paint job what your seeing is the new (cheap paint) peeling off of the gel coat. Its like this on the top off the hull too. you can see fish eye in the paint and where someone didnt know what they were doing and laid the paint down too dry.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like it needs to be sanded back down to the gelcoat.... then properly re-painted.

If you'd like to get it professionally re-done.... shoot me a pm. I can hook you up with someone that will do it right!

Why is everyone so quick to paint skis? I do a lot of car restoration work and know my way around a spray gun, and I would never spray paint over gel coat. It is gel for a reason, because if it gets scuffed, you simply fill and buff out, whereas paint cannot be fixed as easily.

I guess if you don't care how it holds up (as in flipping a ski), or changing colors, then go ahead and paint. Otherwise, do it right and fix the gel with gel.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Why is everyone so quick to paint skis? I do a lot of car restoration work and know my way around a spray gun, and I would never spray paint over gel coat. It is gel for a reason, because if it gets scuffed, you simply fill and buff out, whereas paint cannot be fixed as easily.

I guess if you don't care how it holds up (as in flipping a ski), or changing colors, then go ahead and paint. Otherwise, do it right and fix the gel with gel.
    Thats what im asking, how would i go about fixing this even tho its already been painted over.

+1
    take it in to a person or shop that does gel coating and have them fix that mess.

+1
    Well I figured out why they painted the bottom of the ski. Previous owner used some marine bondo stuff to seal up a 6in long crack in the very center of the hull. Im gonna pull the motor and gas tank to fiber glass it back the proper way. Also gonna flip the ski over and true the hull and re paint it the correct way with a 2 part urethane.

Any tips for pulling the engine out?

+1
    Worst bit is the driveshaft seal, do some research on here on how to do that, it fiddly more then anything. When you lift the motor out watch for the big red power lead to the starter motor, its under the exhaust mani and you cant get to easily, I normally lift the motor out half way untill I can see the lead, undoo the nut on the motor then finish lifting out.

Its also wise to suck all the oil out first too, as when you have removed the shaft it will come out the PTO when you lift/tilt the motor, all round pretty easy job, shoul take no more then 2-2.5hrs,

R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information