Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

rxpx depth finder

hey guys, i installed the oem seadoo depth finder and have yet to get in the water yet but prior to the warm weather i would like to make sure its good to go... so anyways i installed it no issues all wired.. today i charged my battery and put it back in, started it up and my depth finder on my screen was reading 5 ft -10ft... its sitting on the trailer in my driveway, should i be worried or is this normal? thanks in advance

With a typical depth gauge out of the water any reading is absolutely useless. I really suspect this is true for Sea-Doo also.

+1
    rite but i think i read somewhere that out of water it reads --

+1
    Yes, it does read when not in the water...They all do it

When the unit is out of the water the reading, if any, will be inaccurate. Sound waves travel at a different speed in air than in water. I THINK it is a factor of around 4 or 5, meaning if the gauge displays say 5 feet in air, the depth to the surface it is reflecting off when out of the water will be about 1 foot. Don't quote me on this, I'm pulling this from distant memory.

I have seen the -- you mention when out of the water. It also is not terribly uncommon to see --, or junk readings, when the boat is moving at high speeds. Placement of the transducer and correct installation plays a big part in this. I had one boat/gauge that displayed anything but the truth at speed. The boat/gauge I have now seems to work perfectly all the time, and it's a faster boat!

A Captain Obvious comment: The reading is not necessarily the actual water depth. It is the depth from the transducer to the reflecting surface. I have been in areas where the displayed a readings are way lower than the actual water depth. For example, a significant amount of submerged weeds can reflect the signal and the gauge will display low.

Banned User
    +1
    One question; I'm assuming you had the depth finder activated with the BUDS unit from a dealer??
    I installed one on my 08 RXT-X, and had to have the dealer "activate" it before it would read anything. Since your is already reading something, sounds like you're good to go.
    Mine flashes when not in the water, but read find while riding on the lake. When you get past about 50mph, you are out pacing the sound echo returns, so the readout won't be reliable. Also, and this is very important-look at where the transducer is mounted. That is where the reading comes from. So, by the time it starts to read 2' or 1', you've already beached it. When it gets down to 5'-stop!!! take things slow, or get off and walk the boat through the shallows. And, never hit full throttle, if the depth finder is reading 6 feet or less.......

+1
    The new depth finders are plug and play, no activation needed

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The new depth finders are plug and play, no activation needed
    Did NOT know that...thanks Tiny.

+1
    yes mine is just plug and play, thanks for the comments guys appreciate it.. was just concerned that it was suppose to read-- when out of water but if there is a reading when out of water and its fine then im good with that... i actually never start in water below my chest... just not worth it

+1
    can you please post a picture of the installed sender unit for your depth finder? I cannot find where mount it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information