Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 gp1300r water in cylinders, ran fine day before (stored on dry dock overnight)

Im new to the forum but have been using this site for a long time now but finally started an account to post. Ive searched for hours for my problem but have not found an answer to it. So here it is, I have a 05 gp1300r that I put a new rebuilt from a reputable company about a 4 months ago. Started fine on land with hose hooked up. Heat cycled the motor for about 10 gallons and took it easy on throttle for the next 15 gallons. During the break-in time motor would stay at an optimal running temp. No problems at all. Flushed out after every use since i am in salt water everytime. I flushed it two days ago after coming back home and left it on the dry dock overnight. Next day i went to go out and motor would not turn over and voltage was pretty low so i charged the battery for a few hours and put it back on. Same thing still and i noticed a clicking noise in electrical box. Pulled plugs to find out full of water. This is what stumps me. I flushed it the day before after a successful day of riding and now water in cylinders. Got the ski up on land now and turned over on side to drain out all the water but i still cannot get it to turn over by starter. I can turn it over by hand by spinning shaft at rear. My question is how can it fill up cylinders with water and the inside of hull is relatively dry?
    any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

+1
    It could be bad gaskets on the cylinders recommend you change them or you put it in backwards... If you want to save that ski pull the plugs and shoot the water out and oil those cylinder up the same way like as if you were rebuilding it just to be on the safe side...

+1
    oh yea check the solenoid as well and starter

Quote Originally Posted by Speedline View Post
    It could be bad gaskets on the cylinders recommend you change them or you put it in backwards... If you want to save that ski pull the plugs and shoot the water out and oil those cylinder up the same way like as if you were rebuilding it just to be on the safe side...
    should a company that builds thousands of motors every year make a mistake like this? i have a 2 year no fault warranty but really dont want to go through all the trouble of sending it back to them and paying shipping both ways. Could something in the exhaust or flush kit cause the cylinders to fill up as well?

I also checked my solenoid which is good, but my starter is shot and will not even bench test. I have an extra one laying around but is packed away still as i just moved. Or i wait till monday to go to the yam dealer near me to pick up another one.

Got as much water out i could by turning it on its side with the plugs out and all of exhaust off except for manifold. Alot of water came out as i turned the pto coupler by hand but im sure theres still some in the bottom end. Lubed it up too pretty good but i really need to get a starter asap so i can actually spin it over good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05gpr View Post
    should a company that builds thousands of motors every year make a mistake like this? i have a 2 year no fault warranty but really dont want to go through all the trouble of sending it back to them and paying shipping both ways. Could something in the exhaust or flush kit cause the cylinders to fill up as well?

I also checked my solenoid which is good, but my starter is shot and will not even bench test. I have an extra one laying around but is packed away still as i just moved. Or i wait till monday to go to the yam dealer near me to pick up another one.

Got as much water out i could by turning it on its side with the plugs out and all of exhaust off except for manifold. Alot of water came out as i turned the pto coupler by hand but im sure theres still some in the bottom end. Lubed it up too pretty good but i really need to get a starter asap so i can actually spin it over good.

Yea sounds like the starter needs replaced I recommend you just go to ebay and buy one from caltric I've bought plenty and they have 1 yr. warranty on them. Saves you from spending a hundred dollars...

But take that cylinder head of check the gaskets anything is possible even when you least expect. It to happen professionals and all people make mistakes but I do recommend checking exhaust gaskets, and cylinder gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Speedline View Post
    Yea sounds like the starter needs replaced I recommend you just go to ebay and buy one from caltric I've bought plenty and they have 1 yr. warranty on them. Saves you from spending a hundred dollars...

But take that cylinder head of check the gaskets anything is possible even when you least expect. It to happen professionals and all people make mistakes but I do recommend checking exhaust gaskets, and cylinder gaskets
    I was actually checking out the caltric on eBay but was a little iffy at first but if you say you used them I guess its my cheapest bet. As for removing the head, I really don't think I should cause it'll void my warranty I think

Quote Originally Posted by 05gpr View Post
    Im new to the forum but have been using this site for a long time now but finally started an account to post. Ive searched for hours for my problem but have not found an answer to it. So here it is, I have a 05 gp1300r that I put a new rebuilt from a reputable company about a 4 months ago. Started fine on land with hose hooked up. Heat cycled the motor for about 10 gallons and took it easy on throttle for the next 15 gallons. During the break-in time motor would stay at an optimal running temp. No problems at all. Flushed out after every use since i am in salt water everytime. I flushed it two days ago after coming back home and left it on the dry dock overnight. Next day i went to go out and motor would not turn over and voltage was pretty low so i charged the battery for a few hours and put it back on. Same thing still and i noticed a clicking noise in electrical box. Pulled plugs to find out full of water. This is what stumps me. I flushed it the day before after a successful day of riding and now water in cylinders. Got the ski up on land now and turned over on side to drain out all the water but i still cannot get it to turn over by starter. I can turn it over by hand by spinning shaft at rear. My question is how can it fill up cylinders with water and the inside of hull is relatively dry?
    any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    When u flushed it the day before did you have the ski running?

Yes it was running and sounded fine. Can there be any other culprits that would cause this problem other than internal engine gaskets?

Did u shut off the ski and then the water? If so, therein lies your problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vw4me33 View Post
    Did u shut off the ski and then the water? If so, therein lies your problem.
    Been there, done that.Will fill up with water.And a base gasket reversed will let water in.Been there, done that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information